Sign in with
Your question

After launch, Explorer Locks Up On 1st Attempt to Open a Folder

Last response: in Windows XP
October 9, 2010 12:02:21 AM

After launch, Windows Explorer Locks Up On 1st Attempt to Open a Folder

Hello,
Over the last year or so, I boot my XP SP1 Home computer with SP2 & SP3 upgrades -- which is also upgraded with Microsoft's .NETs 1, 2 & 3. In addition, the computer is set for automatic upgrades and it is therefore upgraded regularly with all the M.S. fixes. In the last year, I find that when I launch Windows Explorer and try to open a folder, it freezes up on the first attempt. NOTHING in explorer works; and the only way around the problem is to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and restart Windows Explorer. Then, if am am lucky, my next attempt at opening a folder works just as it should. Does anyone have a fix for this problem, please? I use my registry scanners daily, I scan for viruses and malwares even today ... and yet Explorer still freezes -- always on my first attempt to open a folder after booting to desktop. I also did a 'cleanup' today with my utility program. So! -- Whatever could be causing the problem described above?

markun
October 9, 2010 12:49:41 AM

Check the event viewer to see if it's logging errors.
start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->check the system and application logs. Look for red X's.
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:30:19 AM

Thanks for your sugestion 'Aford10'. I checked the System and Application event logs. For today, 10/10/2010, the Application log shows Red-Xs at about the time I usually try to open my first folder -- after doing a registry scan, every day. The error-sources given are 'ESENT' and 'Userenv'. Yet, the Windows Explorer error did not manifest at any time today, 10/10/2010. Though the error manifested on 09/10/2010, the System log did not record Red-Xs at the time I tried to open a folder and got a WE error on 09/10/2010. I find this contradictory and not conclusive; so, unless I am overlooking something, I have to look for other causes for the WE error.

Thanks again
markun
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 12:27:19 PM

Were there any red X's in the system logs in the event viewer?

Next time it freezes on you, check to see if it's logged a new error. Each error has a date and time on it. If that matches the time you froze up, then you likely have the cause.
m
l
October 13, 2010 1:02:11 AM

aford10 said:
Were there any red X's in the system logs in the event viewer?

Next time it freezes on you, check to see if it's logged a new error. Each error has a date and time on it. If that matches the time you froze up, then you likely have the cause.

Thanks for following up. Yes, there were Red-Xs in the viewer System log -- at about the time I tried to open Windows Exolorer. However, the file opened without a problem. So I figured the Red-Xs were caused by a whole different problem. I will therefore take note of your suggestion to check the viewer log the next time the file fails to open.

I am also wondering if, with the file that fails to open most of the times, being large and residing on a secondary Hard Disk, would cause Windows Explorer not to open. One file is loaded with videos near 70 GBs.

I am searching for answers here because, I alos have a large file with subfolders on the main Hard Disk where the OS resides. So I am not convicnced that either the size of the file or the disk location is a contributing factor. Please comment.

Markun
m
l
October 13, 2010 1:12:58 AM

If it's happening when retrieving files on both drives, then that's not likely the issue. The file size shouldn't be an issue either. It sounds more like an issue in the system files.

You may also want to run a couple tests.
start-->run-->chkdsk /r <--this will scan the hard drive for errors, and try to fix them.
start-->run-->sfc /scannow <--this will scan the system files for any errors. It may ask for the XP disc, to repair some errors.
m
l
October 26, 2010 10:56:50 PM

I have not resolved the problem of Windows Explorer freezing up when opening a folder after explorer is launched. However, a more pressing problem wih my computer arose and I had to set this thread aside ... since I am still in the process of resolving a major computer upgrade.

I did try the suggestions you made with respect to the freezing-up of Windows Explorer after launch. There have been no RED marks in either the system or application log that I can associate with the moment of 'freeze-up'. So I am still stuck with having to relaunch Explorer when it freezes up -- and then getting a folder opened after the 2nd or 3rd launch.

Of course, once I get the 1st folder opened, there is no problem opening more folders -- unless I close Windows Explorer for some reason and then relaunch it. Then the cycle I have to go through starts all over again.

Thanks again for your help.

markun
m
l
!