Can I have seperate ssd boot disk AND seperate raid0 array?

binny

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
So, I have the p6t deluxe v2 mobo.
I have a 1 x 64gb SSD and 2 x 1tb HDDs.

Is it possible to have the SSD as the boot drive (not in raid array) and have the two 1tb hdds set in a raid0 array?

If so, how?

They are all SATA and when I go to BIOS and change the storage configuration to RAID, it can't seem to boot from the SSD (which has vista 64bit).
It gets to windows loading screen then crashes.

Is there a way around this?

I appreciate the help.

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Did you have the machine running fine before making the switch to RAID in the BIOS? I assume the OS in the SSD?

Only the 1TB drives need to be set to RAID if they are the only ones going into the RAID array. The SSD can be left as a standard SATA drive.

Out of interest why do you want the 1TB as RAID0? simply ofr a 2TB drive or doing something that will benefit from some extra speed?

If you are doing a fresh install of windows, its worth loading the RAID drivers at startup, even if you are not putting the OS on the RAID drive. Avoids issues further down the line with hardwre changes one windows is "happy"

Hope that helps a bit! If not, a little more info on your plans please and I'm sure the community will offer some advice :)

Very late reply here

The disks require different drivers when the controller is in IDE mode (usually the default for Asus), RAID mode, and AHCI mode. All of the manuals and literature will recommend that you make this choice when installing the OS, using the F6 method to add the drivers. Note: The F6 method means pressing F6 during the boot to the installation disk, waiting until it asks you to add drivers, and selecting the correct driver from your A drive. Yes, you need an A drive.

You have to build a driver floppy disk (Asus will usually include what you need on the enclosed CD) and then select the correct driver from what looks like a list of four, but can be scrolled. I can't tell you the correct choice for your mobo; for my socket 1156 it was "AHCI driver for PCH." It's easy to tell if you picked the wrong one: the installation procedure will not see any hard drive.

Warning: The following method may destroy your OS and all data on your disks. If you choose to follow it, do image backups to external media first.

I took the hacker route and changed the drivers after building the OS. This should only be done with thorough external backups; my first attempt did trash my OS.
1) Make the driver disk from the CD, or from downloaded drivers.
2) Make sure that you have picked the right driver. The only way to do this is to set the desired controller mode in BIOS, boot from the install disk using F6 and see if the install procedure sees your disks. If it does, you picked the right driver.
3) Reset the controller to the old mode in BIOS.
4) Reboot to the OS. Insert the driver disk, open Device Manager and find your controller(s), and choose to update the drivers.

The OS will warn you over and over that the drivers you are choosing are not appropriate for your devices. Override it.
5) Reboot to BIOS and set your controllers to the new mode.
6) Reboot to the OS and see if it starts.

I used this for ACHI (or is that AHCI?) mode, not for RAID. I can't guarantee that this will work for RAID mode, as the disks may need to be intialized with RAID info, which would kill your data.

Let me know if it works.

TRENDING THREADS