endianx

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Hello,

I have built my first PC, and have it working, but I am experiencing a single problem with it. The fan on the CPU heat sink turns on and off randomly, causing an alarm to sound. Sometimes the fan just stays off. Other times it will turn on for a few seconds, and then off again. Sometimes the fan just seems to twitch, like it is about to start turning, but then does not.

I have replaced the heat sink / fan with a different one and have the exact same problem. Does this mean that something is wrong with my motherboard? Or is this a problem of something configured wrong in the BIOS?

The CPU temperature does not seem to be very high even with the heat sink fan being off. Is it possible the BIOS is sensing that the temperature is low and turning off the fan to save energy? Or does a CPU heat sink fan need to be running 24/7? If not, I can just turn off the alarm and problem solved, I suppose.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Look for smart fan in the bios, and disable it. That should cause the fan to run on full all the time.

It is prolly enabled, causing the fan not to run, till it your CPU hits a certain temp.

The feature is to help run your system more quietly.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What temp is the CPU? If it's low, why are you worried? Why change HSF? If your CPU is cool enough without CPU fan making a noise you have great ventilation. Just enjoy the silence! :sol:

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Wow, you kinda missed the point, its triggering an alarm when it stops, thus negating any 'silence' he might enjoy.

Look to your BIOS, either disable the smart fan as recommended or disable the CPU fan alarm, either will solve your problem.