Free space in Windows 7 - where did it go?

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Hello

I recently purchased an Intel X18-M G2 80GB and installed Windows 7 on it. So far, so good.
First thing I installed afterwards was World of Warcraft and I then noticed that I had very little free space left on the drive - less than 25 GB i.e. about 50 GB used.

If I mark all the folders (with show hidden files and folders enabled) and it informs me that the total amount of space used is 32 GB.

Where did the last 23 GB go? I've disabled the System Restore and it freed up about 5.5 GB, so I now have about 30 GB free, and the total amount of storage used according to folder properties is 25 or so GB.

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
The size of the bin is 5.8 GB, but it's empty. I've disabled the page file completely a week ago or so, and I don't know about that hibernate file..but 20 GB?

Where can I find it?

the program "explorerxp" will show folder sizes and hidden files too if you don't disable that option.

I am surprised at how little space you appear to have.

If you run Vista or Win 7 you have to right-click the explorerxp executable->properties and disable Visual Themes (and maybe enable "run as adminstrator"). It'll be in your Program Files (x86) folder.