Sign in with
Your question

I bought a new computer with windows 7 and i want to remove it and install xp ho

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2010 3:18:42 AM

Hello,I refuse to have any thing to do with windows 7 I will xp the rest of my life I'm buying a custom built computer with no os on it be cause geek squad refuses to port my xp home off my old machine

More about : bought computer windows remove install

a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2010 3:22:48 AM

You'll need a copy of XP, and your new hardware will need XP drivers.
m
l
October 10, 2010 4:33:17 AM

To make a long story short. Boot the PC from the optical drive with the XP disk in it, format the hard drive, and then install XP. If you can get the drivers for the hardware and burn them onto a disk that would be very handy if the hardware doesn't automatically come with driver disks
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2010 12:27:46 PM

Quote:
Hello,I refuse to have any thing to do with windows 7 I will xp the rest of my life I'm buying a custom built computer with no os on it be cause geek squad refuses to port my xp home off my old machine

Custom built computer, you should get all the boxes etc that all your parts came in, if not ask for same,the best that you can do is install onto the new system, hook up old drive?? as second [slave] and copy your stuff from there..:) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2010 3:56:20 PM

Brand new custom computer with an 8 year-old OS...

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially since software suppport for XP is falling. (No new Direct X and no IE 9). Driver support is not far behind. To each their own I suppose... but to me if you want to take full advantage of the newest hardware, you need the newest OS. Just be sure you can get drivers for everything before you insist on travelling back to the stone age.

As for Geek Squad not porting over your OS... that is because of legal issues. If you have an OEM XP, you cannot transfer the license to a new computer... you must purchase another copy. If you bought XP retail, then you are allowed to remove it from the old computer and install it on the new. Since they wouldn't do it for you, however, I would assume that you have an OEM copy. If you want XP, you'll either have to purchase it again or install it yourself.
m
l
!