Best cooler for AMD Phenom II X4 955?

Kantololo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hiya. I'm a first time computer builder and I'm having trouble finding the right cooler for the build I want. The problem I'm having is that both of the mobos I'm looking at (GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and ASUS M4A79T Deluxe) apparently have the RAM slots too close to the cooler and the cooler blocks off a RAM slot or two. I say "apparently" because I've never actually seen a mobo or cooler in real life and I have no idea where the RAM slots are on a mobo.

So, I guess my real question is, what good coolers can I use that will fit the CPU and not block off any RAM slots? I intend to use all four RAM slots, so it's pretty important.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me out.

Oh, and sorry if this is a stupid question or in the wrong forum... >_> I'm a complete newb at computer parts.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Welcome to THG Kantololo
I'm using the Zalman 9700 LED on a Asus M3A79T-Deluxe MoBo (ASUS M4A79T Deluxe is the same board just it's the AM3 version), with OCZ Reapers that the HPC heat pipes and didn't have a problem with clearance on the memory slots.
Now you may choose to go with a different CPU cooler, but you can use the measurement specs from the 9700 to help give you an idea what you have for clearances.

tonkaee

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
im using a cooler master v8 cooler (fairly big cooler) with my msi k9a2 platnium board with o clearance with my corsair dominator ram, iver heard though that the v8 has clearance problems in most cases so if you go with that make sure you have enuff space in your future case and good luck with your build just did mine recently for the first time

Wow a true green horn and not afraid to admit it, one of the best tips I can offer is to make sure you choose a cooler that has mounting accessories that allow 90 degree offset mounting to maintain normal case airflow path which is front to rear not bottom to top, some socket orientations on some M/Bs cause the heatsink mounting to go in a vertical position counter productive to the case airflow path.

The Zalman 9700 LED unclefester is using has additional mounting hardware allowing any mounting position vertical or horizontal, thats a good CPU heatsink IMO.

However unless you're also planning on jumping directly into Overclocking, the stock AMD heatpipe cooler that comes with the Retail CPU is a more than adequate cooling solution.

And if you are intending on OCing first time out of the gate, I do suggest some serious self education first.

jbguillo

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
you want the zalman exhausting in the outward airflow direction. I have mine with fan facing frontwards, because my case exhausts out of the rear of the case.

Perilous

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. C with a push/pull configuration. I am running OCZ Reaper 1600 mhz ram on a Gigabyte 790fx ud5p MOBO with the same proc. If you put your 2 dimms of ram in the white slots there is plenty of clearance on the mobo. In fact I am currently overclocked oc'd to 3.8 ghz and running the ram at 1600 and never see temps over 29c idle 43c at load.

b0bftw

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
hey man,

i have the gigabyte mobo and the processor you have...

with the processor and the gigabyte mobo everything fits fine including the heat sinc and all....

as for fan, i am looking to buy me a new one....because it makes alot of noise....

but apart from that it all fits...

good luck man.

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
It also really depends on what sort of case you have, is it a full, mid, or mini ATX case. Full sizes are great! Mid are limited, and of course Mini's usually require a cooler that blows air onto the cpu directly, usually appears to be a top to down airflow. There are many different designs, the best way to determine is use a metric measuring tape that is a ribbon type, those fast retract reels may cause "accidental" damage, and simply measure the dimensions you have to work with.

You are going to have to open the case up to do this.

DO ground yourself BEFORE touching any electrical components, even the case! A bad diode could send static electricity backwards through the computer (rare and unlikely) but not impossible. Thus causing irreversible circuit damage.

But probably the most important is determining the socket type you have, mine was tricky, it's a AM2 cpu socket and a 775 for the heatsink/fan.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have the Zalman 9900, similar to the 9700. Excellent cooler. I have it on a MSI 790FX-GD70 mb with plenty of clearance. You need a big case though.

ModerateOverClocker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

The cooler you want is a {Prolimatech Megahalems} - there is no other that is better, other than water cooling

The Taz

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
hi i have just installed a corsair h50-1 hydro series cooler on my M4A79T deluxe mobo with a AMD Phenom llx4 955 black edition it is not overclock yet lol ,but with the cpu voltage @ 1.250 and running occt for 1 hour i have temp of 27.5c-28c idle and 40.5c-41 full load on all for cores

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Toms' hardware forum.

You can find here the best CPU coolers.

I think that all fit on your mobo without block the RAM. Currently, I'm using a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with my X4 955 and is very good. Just be sure that the cooler fit in your case.

You can see here some pics about the installation of that cooler and how fit without block the RAM.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Agree if you don't plan to OC then I recommend you use the stock HSF with a good paste. And ofcourse keep the airflow clear of wires.

I forget my mobo but it's ... there it is GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416&cm_re=gigabyte_am3-_-13-128-416-_-Product

Otherwise I use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and while it sort of blocks off one memory slot all you have to do is move the fan up a mm or so and you have proper clearence.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=cooler%20master%20hyper%20212%20plus