Sign in with
Your question

DVD Rom and DVD-RW access problems

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2009 7:09:15 PM

Recently I'm having problems reading/accessing both of my dvd drive, one a dvd rom and one a dvd-rw. When I try to access the dvd rom, I get 'please insert disk in drive 'x'' and I can click on dvd-rw and it opens, but no files are shown - even though files do exist.

I've checked all connections from power supply, even changing molex's to each and have replaced the IDE cable. I've found that if I open device manager, cdrom, open either the dvd rom or dvd-rw, choose volumes, populate that it then displays the volumes contained with such information as type, status, etc..

Then, I can now access either or both drives until I try to read another cd/dvd - at which time I must repeat the above process.

I'd appreciate any help with this problem, as it currently has me baffled. I've checked all BIOS settings as well and nothing is out of the ordinary. Nothing has changed as far as cable connections or jumper settings. I tried what someone suggested here -

Type in "regedit" without the parrenthesis then click ok

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then SYSTEM

Then CURRENT CONTROL SET

Then CONTROL

Then CLASS

Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The whole thing looks like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then delete the upper and lower filters....

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER THEN THERE YA GO!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS Thanks.

It did help for the 1st reboot. Once accessed and I changed discs, I can no longer access/read/see files again until I do the device manager scenario above.

Thanks in advance.

More about : dvd rom dvd access problems

a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 8:12:41 AM

Hmmm, if it helped for one boot, then it's possible something's editing your registry. Have you made sure your computer is clean from virus and/or malware?
m
l
!