Best VGA ramsinks available?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
ok, so i just found out that the VRAM on my 4850 likes to get to around 86-93c. obviously, i want that to go down. but don't know what good HS there are for VRAM.

also, i don't want to spend more than 20$ on them

boomhowar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
who makes your card? and what type of cooling do you have on it?

depending on what you stock cooling is like (mine was the solid plate of copper covering the entire board) you may have to either dremel the copper plate or find alternative cooling for your gpu.

if your cooling is just on the gpu then it will be easy to just stick something on them.

anyways, here's some possibilities for your original question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CL-C0025-BGA-VGA-Copper-Heatsinks-ThermalTake-CU_W0QQitemZ220378731974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220378731974&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108071

i use the thermaltake ones from ebay on my 4850. they're also good with lots of other components like routers, ect. i use them on my wrt54g and it helps keeping it from crashing during long transfers.

they sometimes don't like to stick, so i always prep with alcohol and use a hair dryer to heat up the tape.

boomhowar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
your welcome.

I usually find the ebay ones at radio shack for 7 bucks and always pick up a few packs for future use. the price on ebay for them i think is too high.

i have a problem with clearance on my MB due to other cards/water cooling and thats why i go with the ebay ones. otherwise the taller swiftech ones im sure can absorb more heat.

if you're going to pick some heat sinks up for ur ram (if not already covered) be sure to measure what sort of clearance you have before hitting ur gpu cooling. i had to shave down one of the above heat sinks but it was a pain in the @ss.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have typically used the Zalman ram sinks, they work OK, but are aluminum and very lightweight. I would use copper ones (and have in the past) but they typically are fairly heavy and can fall off after repeated heat/cool cycles.

My next question...why ram sinks? Are you removing the stock cooler for some reason? Otherwise, I don't know how you are going to install them with a stock fan in place.