User Account

I am the Adnim on my PC and my account has admin privileges. I in stalled a
program when I was logged on under Administrator and now I can only user the
program under Administrator and not my account that has admin
4 answers Last reply
More about user account

    A program installed while logged on as one user may (or may not) be available
    to other users (as in the shortcuts being visible) regardless of whether both
    are administrators. This has to do with the software vendor's installation
    routine rather than XP. There is, by the way, a difference between a user
    that is a member of the administrator GROUP and the local administrator USER.
    This difference can be significant sometimes with regards to what tasks can
    be performed.

    Jason wrote:
    > I am the Adnim on my PC and my account has admin privileges. I in stalled a
    > program when I was logged on under Administrator and now I can only user the
    > program under Administrator and not my account that has admin

    Does it not show on you user account desktop or does it show and
    won't run? What program?

    gls858

    A program that is not WinXP aware may have to be installed for each user.
    This will not duplicate the actual files.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Jason wrote:
    > I am the Adnim on my PC and my account has admin privileges. I in stalled a
    > program when I was logged on under Administrator and now I can only user the
    > program under Administrator and not my account that has admin

    You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
    individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
    the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
    sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: