Random automatic rebooting.

albinohaze

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Hi there

This is my first topic on Tom's and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Sometimes I'll be just surfing the net or looking at my data and my computer will reboot without warning. Ths has happend twice since I got my new box 2 weeks ago. Also, I've had an issue twice where my computer would shut itself off on it's own and I was unable to turn it back on for a good 3-4 minutes.

All my specs are listed below so has anyone encountered this before? Is this a software or hardware related issue?

Thanks for any help.:)

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I happend to me on much older system.
It may has something to do with the mobo or the power supply.
The problem was also solved by using errorsmart and registrysmart - but i can't explain how.

royalcrown

Distinguished
The rebooting is most likely caused by 2 things:

an error (flaw) in the memory (1 or 2 bad sticks), try taking one out and running it if you have 2 sticks, if it reboots, swap it for the other one.

The other likely possibility is that the power supply is bad power supply.
Especially with the rebooting.

Could be one of three things:

Bad RAM (you'd be more likely to bluescreen though)
Not enough power (what size PSU do you have?)
Overheating (sounds closer to your syntoms, especially the not being able to restart for several minutes).

Check to make sure your heatsink is making good contact with the CPU, use core-temp to check your temps, run memtest86 to check your RAM.

Thats all I can say until I see your system specs.

albinohaze

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

I'll try the ram thing but I'm leaning more towards PSU because of what the guy said about blue screen. I had a ram issue a few years back and it was always blue screen related.

albinohaze

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

Hmmm, I'm thinking cooling perhaps because all I have for cooling is the fan in the PSU and the fan and heat sync for the cpu. Other than that I don't have any fans in the case and it's a smaller case. I guess I should get a fan that pushes and another that pulls air in and out of the case to get better performance.