Should I start with CPU water cooling?

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
In the process of building a new PC based on a i7 920 and dual GTX285's

I'm looking at doing a water cooling setup with the following:

(Don't have all the part numbers on hand :p)

Triple Rad (Looking at the Feser at the moment)
3x Noctua Fans
CPU block (Swiftech GTZ)
1/2 inch ID tubing (Feser as well, maybe a smaller ID?)
Pump (Looking at suggestions)
Reservoir

That should be sufficient to keep my CPU cool, obviously I'm looking for a maximum OC so I'd keep the triple rad designated to the CPU.

Question, should I add a second loop to cool the 285's? I'm a relative noob to watercooling, so I'm thinking I should start with the CPU and possibly add the GPU loop down the road.

If I do go with a GPU loop what are the benefits to a full cover waterblock vs a waterblock + ramsinks? Any suggestions?

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
It is my opinion that the system you are looking at would be great, but very, very expensive. Especially if you add waterblocks to your gpus. I don't know if you already have the two 285s, but from a cooling standpoint you might be better off with a single gtx295...you won't be too far off in performance from the two 285 cards, and it will get much better airflow, so you won't need the water cooling. Plus it will save you about $400 - $600. As far as cooling the cpu I think you should look at a single self contained unit like the Coolit Domino...They keep my 4.0 ghz i7 920 overclocks to low 50s under max load....if you really think you need more than that you could step up to one of their models with a bigger pump and radiator. The Domino can be found for under $100, which would save you at least another $300 - $400 from the setup you are looking at designing.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for the replies :)

I'm in the process of ordering everything, and I think I'll order 2 EK waterblocks and a second triple rad :D

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36163&vpn=3830046993755&manufacture=EK%20Water%20Blocks

Those should work real well :)

Would I require a second pump for best results? Or could I run them all on a single pump? Any suggestions for pumps?

This is what I'm looking at atm, but I can always order from another supplier if there are better suggestions!

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19862&vpn=MCP655&manufacture=Swiftech

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
One more question for people! I know certain Radiators work better with a high CFM fan and others work well with lower CFM (like the Noctuas).

What's suggested for low CFM?

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Probably gonna go with the Feser X-Changer rads, they're expensive but seem to offer the best performance.

Also seems that they work well with a lower RPM fan Noctua P12 is what I plan on using.

Any cases which will allow me to put both loops internally :D? If not I'll get a radbox and mount one in the back!