jimlance

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I have 2 logical drives (C & D) composed of 4 separate disks using RAID 0. My C drive(s) is small (74 gigs) and contains the OS, program files, and some data files. My D drive(s) is used only for data storage.

My intention is to replace the D drive(s) with larger, non-RAID drives. But in researching how to delete a RAID array, it became clear that I am not sure if I have 1 array spread across 4 disks, or 2 arrays spread across 2 disks each, with the operating system isolated to the 2 smaller drives.

How can I determine the number of disks in my RAID 0 array... 2 or 4? Thanks for any help?

Amateur Jim

Solution
If they show as 2 separate drives in disk management then the chances are they are 2 separate arrays.

As far as i Know Silicon Image does not allow you to make multiple arrays on the same drives(but 2 arrays from the same or 2 same controllers can happen depending on the board in use). Intel DOES allow this.

If its a single array with all drives it should look like this

One Drive (or array) and 2 partitions.
multipart.gif

If its 2 arrays it should look like 2 drives.

3 (2 in your case) drives. Ignore the fact that i have only 500 gigs of my array partitioned. Its just faster for what i do.
multidrive.gif

Either way, you will have to make sure...
On post it should show any arrays you have. If its an Intel chipset(not just the cpu) you can also use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager to check.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Matrix+Storage+Manager

Remember, breaking the array will loose all the data, so break the right one and only AFTER you have copied the files over to your new drive.

If you have Vista and its one 4 drive array you can easily extend the windows drive to fill the rest of the free space or actually leave it small as you get faster access times that way.

Another option is to use the device manager to see the arrays(hell even disk management will see if its one array or 2). If you show 2 hard drive arrays, then you have 2 if you only see one, then you have one...

jimlance

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Nukemaster - Thanks for the response. I have looked at both the device manager, and the disk manager.

Under the Device Manager (SCSI and Raid Controllers) I see 2 Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controllers. They have separate PCI slot locations but identical Device Locations (Channel 0 Target 0).

Under the Disk Manager (Disk Drives) I see 2 drives named "SiI RAID 0 Set 0 SCSI Disk Device". In their individual Properties, I can see 2 separate volumes (C and D), but it is the fact that they have the same Location (Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, Lun 0) and the same "Raid 0 Set 0" in their name that worries me.

Is it possible to have two Raid arrays named Set 0 on two separate Raid controllers. If so, I think I might be safe. Otherwise, I am concerned that my Windows XP intallation is striped across 4 physical drives.

Any thoughts? Thanks

jimlance

If they show as 2 separate drives in disk management then the chances are they are 2 separate arrays.

As far as i Know Silicon Image does not allow you to make multiple arrays on the same drives(but 2 arrays from the same or 2 same controllers can happen depending on the board in use). Intel DOES allow this.

If its a single array with all drives it should look like this

One Drive (or array) and 2 partitions.
multipart.gif

If its 2 arrays it should look like 2 drives.

3 (2 in your case) drives. Ignore the fact that i have only 500 gigs of my array partitioned. Its just faster for what i do.
multidrive.gif

Either way, you will have to make sure you unplug the right drives when you change things. Do not worry, if you get the wrong one. Power down put it back and all should be as it was again.

Solution
Verify that the array is made up of all 4 physical disks. This can be done through the controller BIOS. If the array is all 4 physical disks the your C & D drives are just partitions on the array.

If so, use an application like Partition Magic to delete one partition and extend the remaining partition.