prebooting with gtx 280?

rntntn10

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I've got a gigabyte ex38-ds4 and never have had any problems. 2x2 gigs 8500 ram at 1066 2.2v. factory specs, e8500 clocked at 3.35 at 1.28v., 700 watt thermaltake tpower and a thermaltake 250 watt booster with two six pin connectors pinned into one 8 pin. and a bfg gtx 280. The problem is my machine boots slow for a second or two fans and all running, Then stalls for 5 or 6 seconds then boots like nothing has happened!! This happens like clockwork every time i boot up! What does anyone think , bad capacitor, voltage regulator or does it just like having time outs? I don't know, there should be plenty enough juice. Not running raid, just sound card, hard drive and writer. Does anyone else have this problem? Or should I just rma everything. No just joking!!! PLEASE TRY TO HELP OUT HERE. I'm going nuts about this!!

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
That thermaltake power booster sent an 8800gts of mine to an early grave, so be carefull with it especially on such a good video card. Go back to the basics, undo your overclock, run everything at stock speeds and take that power booster out, 700W should be enough for that system. If the computer still does silly things then you can start thinking about RMAs.

rntntn10

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for the input. I've pinned it out both ways, straight power and straight booster supply and no dice. I'm reasonably sure it's not the motherboard now because I slipped in a 8800 gts without problem and works pinned either way. I thought $380.00 for the card after rebate was a little to good (from tiger). The graphic imaging is great though. I also don't really think lack of amps is the problem, but that still is kind of close, but then no blue screens or crashing. So I think I'll rma the card first, the price of it tells me to. I read that a capacitor leak will initially draw excessive current and pop the voltage regulator on the motherboard. I really don't like the sound of that. Oh well, you get what you pay for, unless theres something else that I might have missed?

rntntn10

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
GAWD....Problem solved!!! It was was a three way toggle switch on a fan controller that was half-ass grounding out. Found that out by turning it off. Live and learn i guess.