Sign in with
Your question

External HDD Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2009 11:10:02 PM

When I go to plug my Western Digital HDD into my desktop computer running WinXP MCE, I get the error message "The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable." Though when I plug it into my laptop running Windows Vista Premium, I can open the HDD and view all of the file on it. I'm thinking the problem has to do with security and permissions, because I have had problems hooking this HDD to other computers other than my laptop. Any ideas? I have read through many forums trying to solve this problem, but have come up with nothing. Thank you in advance.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 8:23:21 AM

If your problem really has something to do with permissions (though I doubt it), clear the security restrictions on the laptop where you first connected the hard disk. This involves going to the Properties window of the folders and files in question.
September 28, 2009 10:33:56 AM

If possible connect it to a different Windows XP machine [not MCE] and let us know what happens. ;) 
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 12:38:16 PM

run a hdd test and see what it says

also if its a USB powered hdd it may need more power from the ports (eg run from the back of the tower, not the usually useless front usb ports)
October 18, 2009 9:05:30 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the late response. I set the security permissions to allow everyone access to the drive. This solved half my problem, being that I can now read/write to the HDD with two computers, one running Vista Premium and the other running Vista Basic. When I try on both my XP Pro and XP MCE computers, I still get the error message. Also, when I go into the HDD properties, it lists the file system as RAW, with 0mb capacity. Also, the HDD is not USB powered. I Hope this helped.
October 18, 2009 9:12:44 PM

foxy_roxy said:
If possible connect it to a different Windows XP machine [not MCE] and let us know what happens. ;) 

Hooked it to a machine running XP pro. No difference :( 
!