Sign in with
Your question

Problem with booting

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2008 12:30:44 AM

So my friend brought over his computer because it failed to boot. I opened up the case to check the cables and everything is attatched correctly. I started it up and it shows the initial booting screen (the one where it shows how much ram you have etc) but then its just a black screen, nothing more. I also noticed that the LEDs on my keyboard started to dimm after a little while. Im really not sure what could be wrong with it, im pretty sure its the bios but it could also be the power supply. Any toughts on the problem?

This is his motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775V88%2B

Thanks.

More about : problem booting

a c 126 à CPUs
July 22, 2008 12:38:49 AM

Have you tried using a boot disk to see if the OS just got really corrupted? It could be a power problem but to test that you would need to either swap his out for another one or try to disconnect as many extras as possible to see if you can get it to boot.
July 22, 2008 12:43:42 AM

if it was windows you get a windows failure

sounds like hard ware pul all the cables excpet the os hard drive see if it boots, if so plug back in at a time

if not

put the os disc in and run repair

or

google how to fix boot - boot.ini coruption its pretty easy
Related resources
July 23, 2008 9:05:47 AM

It refuses to even boot from the windows xp cd, i belive the motherboard is fried :/ .
July 23, 2008 10:34:46 AM

Try replacing the harddrive. If that doesn't work then it's probably the motherboard.
July 23, 2008 3:42:57 PM

Nah its not the hard drive for sure, otherwise it would have booted from the cd (scince the process doesnt use the hard drive).
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2008 5:00:22 PM

you are mistaken, any damaged component still connected can cause all kinds of errors. First pull all the cards (reseat the video card) and cables to optical drives and hard discs. reseat memory and processor. Try to boot before reconnecting cards and drives. then go from there
!