Upgrading......moved to New system build

bitmonx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Hi all,

would like to have some input about my proposed upgrade to my current system.

At the moment I have the following:

- Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

- Asus P5N-D

- E8400 running at 3.6GHz (Arctic Freezer Pro 7 cooler)

-2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC6400

-Enermax Noisemaker 485W

-Coolermaster Centurion 5 PC Case

-2 x SATA2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB

- Onboard Sound from Mobo

Proposed upgtrade is:

- OS, CPU and Mobo same

- Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400

- EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 285 Sc 675MHZ 1024MB 2.538GHZ (two of them in SLI)

- Corsair HX1000W PSU

- Coolermaster HAF 932 PC Case

- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY

Ok, now.....will my Mobo with the E8400 handle the SLI well? Will I have problems being able to use only 3 GB of RAM in Vista 32bit? Upgrade to 64 bit highly reccomended?

Highly appreciate any input from you pros. An upgrade to a Quad CPU and better MB will come later, maybe much later.......

Oups, I am in the wrong forum.... sry....

r_manic

Administrator
Make sure that your drool-worthy dual-285 setup isn't overkill. What are you planning to use those cards for and what display will you use?

Also, do you really need that stand alone sound card? Again, the ones already integrated into your motherboard are perfect for most purposes.

Regarding the RAM, if you want to maximize all four of 'em for your upgrade, go 64-bit. Hope this helps!

^+1
Well I would suggest you to cut some money on the PSU and Sound card and
Get a setup like this...
Q9550
Corsair 850TX (Corsair 1000HX is for triple SLI setups...For dual SLI, the 850TX is more than enough...)
2 GB
Sound - Add the sound card later after upgrading the core components...

Before we suggest more on the graphics front, could you tell at what resolution do you play...
For resolutions upto 1900X1200 a single GTX 285 is suffice for most of the games...
And for more higher resolutions, the SLI would be suitable...

I would suggest GTX275 SLI rather than a 285 SLI now as it would perform nearly the same for resolutions upto 1920X1200 and you could save about $100 there...

Well if he goes for the i7 now, he would have to spend cash on RAM and Mobo...that comes nearly to about $300 extra...
So for now just changing the CPU, adding 2 GB RAM and changing the graphics card is suffice for a gaming PC...He wont notice much difference in games between the Core2 and i7...

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
sure could, when you use I7 you get a big SH*T eating grin on your face and never have to put up with with getting amd bashed, and you will never use phrases like...
It fast enough for my needs.
Its a great value.
its almost as fast.
Up to XXXXX performance
Its all i could afford.
I dont need an i7 LOL ETC

IMO you don't need an i7, especially with SLI. Your dual core will more than likely be able to handle it, so i would stick to your upgrade list.

+1 corsair 850tx
i have the 650tx and love it

for the memory, i would go for 2x2GB even if you already have 2GB memory

r_manic

Administrator
Shouldn't he get an i7 so that he doesn't have to upgrade much sooner? He can just OC the whole shebang if he wants performance anyway. Keeping the haters quiet is also a definite plus :D

And again, I'd only recommend +3GB if he's gonna run a 64-bit OS.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
+1 R_manic, like said above, more of those excuses....
they are all scorned cause they bought into Brand X generic....
there is no substitute lol