EVGA E-Geforce 8800GT not letting system boot / no signal

clansteelwolf

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hello,

Alright I have an EVGA E-Geforce 8800GT, that i JUST got fro ma friend since hes buying a 9800, and was working just fine for him.

I got to plug it in (cords of course triple checked), and when i hit the switch, everything spins up like its on and going to boot, but nothing happens.

No signal is fed to my monitor and the system doesn't boot into windows (or i cant hear it do so).... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Did you have a card in there before and if so, what was it?
If you had a card in there before, was it an ATI card or NVidia?
If it was an ATI card, did you uninstall the ATI drivers and install the NVidia drivers?
If you didn't have a card in there before, did you disable the on-board graphics in BIOS?
What motherboard do you have?

I'm not discounting the power supply just yet, but there are a lot of other questions that need answering.

Thanks!

-Wolf sends

clansteelwolf

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
right well i figred as much... lets see
I had (and have) another card in there currently, Nvidia 7800 GT
Mother board is an Azus Fatal1ty mobo... im sure exactly how to check that but i believe that thats it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well crap!

Having the 7800GT in there and working pretty much blows all my thoughts out of the water. Sorry. That Antec 450 does have it's own PCI-E power cable, doesn't it? Last gasp would be to contact your friend that gave you the 8800GT and ask what power supply he has and if it would be possible to test your system with his power supply.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Oh. And I'm assuming you didn't switch monitor connection ports and that you're using the same DVI (or VGA) monitor port/cable as you did with the 7800GT.

clansteelwolf

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
i dont know if this helps at all... but every time I try to start with the 8800 in my bios and clock resets... i ahve no idea why that happens... and yes its got a cord I and haven't changed DVI cables

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
so you are getting to the bios with the card in?

then it must be stupid windows as usual. call nvidia, they will tell you to call microsoft, so do it in that order, so microsoft can't tell you to call nvidia.

boot to safe mode and reinstall the drivers. or choose "VGA Mode" or something, i cant remember, never used windows....

good luck, and i hope you havent burnt your new card.

clansteelwolf

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
nono.. i cant get to bios with the 8800 in... after i pulled it out and put my old card back in i gota boot, and the Bios was flashed.. like it didnt have enough power or something... gona get a new PW suply... my old one isnt that great anyways.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'd say it's the power supply. Sounds like it's either too unstable or just not enough juice, I'm leaning toward unstable since not having enough juice shouldn't reset the BIOS, unless the battery on your motherboard is dead too.

clansteelwolf

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
well it isnt the power supply... i just bought a new one and tried booting (system does spin up tho) with the card in... got the same thing as last time... no boot, and no signal, and a checksum error when i put the old card back it... so the card is likely dead, sigh there goes the money for the power supply