Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good motherboard for Crossfire?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2008 11:00:35 PM

I have been leaning towards ASUS, express gate looks pretty useful too me. I am thinking of getting a 4870 video card now, and then waiting for price drops to pick up another one. I am torn between getting the P5Q Deluxe DDR2 and the P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP which uses DDR3. By far the P5Q Deluxe seems the best choice on the cheaper ddr2 memory, and user ratings seem to be really positive. The P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP looks like a good choice, since you can run both video cards a 16X speed. I am currently pricing both systems within $240.
August 14, 2008 9:42:07 AM

You need a x38 or x48 chipset to run any of the hd 4000 series cards affectively in crossfire. ASROCK wifi board is cheap and has a good upgrade path. Also somewhat reliable and overclocks fairly well.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2008 11:09:14 AM

I would recomend either the ASUS P5Q-E or P5E Deluxe, depending on how much you want to spend.

It is simply not true that you need a X38/48 Mb to have an effective 48X0 Cf setup.
Yes, the extra bandwith on a X38/48 Mb is very nice to have but not required.
In most games, you will have similar scaling up to 1920x1200 on either Mb.
Here and Here are a few reviews on the matter.
Related resources
August 14, 2008 7:53:26 PM

Why spend that much on a motherboard and graphics cards and then get a low res monitore?

The acer model for newegg is 389. I would rather get a cheap motherboard without crossfire, one video card, and a good 1900x1200 resolution monitor then have two high powered graphics card displayed on a cheap piece of ****.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2008 8:18:14 PM

:heink: 

Sorry, I fail to see where he mentioned that he had a POS display...
The OP asked a specific question regarding which motherboard would be best for him.
He nowhere suggested that he was gaming on a low res monitor.
Are you sure you are not mixing this up with another thread?
August 14, 2008 8:43:07 PM

I just got a Gigabyte X48 DS4 its very nice IMO. couple of small issues, theres onboard LED's that light up during the POST but i cant figure out how to turn them on once booted. Other then that though coming from an Asus board myself i quite like the gigabyte. But to each his own, there both good brands
August 14, 2008 8:44:41 PM

Sorry didnt realize this was in the ASUS section as opposed to the General. in that case i give +1 P5E Deluxe as that was the other board i was thinking of getting
August 15, 2008 3:08:18 AM

outlw6669 said:
:heink: 

Sorry, I fail to see where he mentioned that he had a POS display...
The OP asked a specific question regarding which motherboard would be best for him.
He nowhere suggested that he was gaming on a low res monitor.
Are you sure you are not mixing this up with another thread?

This was more of an opinion as well as a suggestion outlaw. Hopefully this won't be as confusing for him as it was for you.
!