Changing Windows XP Activation Key

I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the method
listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
Gateway version).
9 answers Last reply
More about changing windows activation

    Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
    either.

    Using your new Windows XP CD, and the Product Key
    that came with it, perform a "repair install".

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    HELLLP! wrote:
    > I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the method
    > listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
    > version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
    > Gateway version).

    The method described in the referenced KB Article applies only to
    Volume Licensed installations.

    You need to use your _legitimate_ copy of WinXP Pro to perform a
    repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using your original CD
    and Product Key.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    There is no alternative way!

    "HELLLP!" wrote:

    | Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
    | either.

    Hi,

    Unless you are using a volume license version, the only way to change the
    product key is a repair installation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "HELLLP!" <HELLLP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the
    >method
    > listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
    > version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
    > Gateway version).

    Already gave you that answer. Unless you are changing a volume license key,
    the only way to change it is to do a repair installation.

    --

    > Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
    > either.

    Not all OEM versions are created equally <G>

    You can try Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    Install and run then select Options->Change Key. However failing this your
    option is a Repair Install which should be quite painless.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > Not all OEM versions are created equally <G>
    >
    > You can try Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    > Install and run then select Options->Change Key. However failing this your
    > option is a Repair Install which should be quite painless.

    Harry, that 'keyfinder' itself has some problems. I tried
    entering the Product Key which Microsoft had accepted,
    in validating my use of the recent Windows Update
    monitoring, and *keyfinder* (not Microsoft Activation)
    would not accept it.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Never had a problem with it myself Bill.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Harry Ohrn wrote:
    >> Not all OEM versions are created equally <G>
    >>
    >> You can try Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    >> Install and run then select Options->Change Key. However failing this
    >> your option is a Repair Install which should be quite painless.
    >>
    > Harry, that 'keyfinder' itself has some problems. I tried
    > entering the Product Key which Microsoft had accepted,
    > in validating my use of the recent Windows Update
    > monitoring, and *keyfinder* (not Microsoft Activation)
    > would not accept it.
    >
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

Microsoft Windows XP