Changing Windows XP Activation Key

August 17, 2005 7:43:43 PM

I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the method
listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
Gateway version).
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:14:03 PM

Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
either.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:48:36 PM

Using your new Windows XP CD, and the Product Key
that came with it, perform a "repair install".

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"HELLLP!" wrote:

| I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the method
| listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
| version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
| Gateway version).
August 17, 2005 10:17:37 PM

HELLLP! wrote:
> I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the method
> listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
> version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
> Gateway version).

The method described in the referenced KB Article applies only to
Volume Licensed installations.

You need to use your _legitimate_ copy of WinXP Pro to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using your original CD
and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:23:15 PM

There is no alternative way!

"HELLLP!" wrote:

| Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
| either.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:45:38 PM

Hi,

Unless you are using a volume license version, the only way to change the
product key is a repair installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"HELLLP!" <HELLLP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 62C977A-9BA3-4A43-80C9-767A63B32C1D@microsoft.com...
>I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the
>method
> listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
> version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
> Gateway version).
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:40:50 PM

Already gave you that answer. Unless you are changing a volume license key,
the only way to change it is to do a repair installation.

--

> Is there any alternative way? I tried using Rock XP but that doesn't work
> either.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:21:51 AM

Not all OEM versions are created equally <G>

You can try Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
Install and run then select Options->Change Key. However failing this your
option is a Repair Install which should be quite painless.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"HELLLP!" <HELLLP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 62C977A-9BA3-4A43-80C9-767A63B32C1D@microsoft.com...
>I can't seem to change my WPA key, no matter what I do. I've tried the
>method
> listed in Microsoft's knowledge base but still no luck. I have the OEM
> version of XP Home but I accidentally used the wrong cd(I have a Dell and
> Gateway version).
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:50:24 PM

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Not all OEM versions are created equally <G>
>
> You can try Keyfinder http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
> Install and run then select Options->Change Key. However failing this your
> option is a Repair Install which should be quite painless.

Harry, that 'keyfinder' itself has some problems. I tried
entering the Product Key which Microsoft had accepted,
in validating my use of the recent Windows Update
monitoring, and *keyfinder* (not Microsoft Activation)
would not accept it.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

Never had a problem with it myself Bill.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

!