How to connect Front panel audio on Antec 900 & 780i

nuklep1

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Hi, I just added 780i into my antec 900 case. Everything runs fine, but i dont get any audio on the front panel.

I've read where people accidentally connected the HD audio header to azilla (or something like that) and fried the board. My board is fine so far.

Antec front panel audio cable comes with 2 connectors (AC97 audio plug and HD audio Plug)

I connected the AC97 plug into the front audio labeled below. With my sli setup, the HD audio plug from antec case does not reach any of the connectors.

untitled.jpg

Given 900 is a popular case, has anyone here gotten their 780i front audio to work on 900? Thanks for the help

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the HD Audio plug on the antec 900 is 10 pins, whereas the HD audio pins group on the mobo seems to be 16

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Can you explain exactly how your SLI setup is a problem?

Do you mean the cards are making for a very long path to the header?

A simple(well... to me it is) solution would be to route the cable through the back of the motherboard plate and the take it our right next to the connector. If your case doesn't have any pre-cut holes for that then it would be a good time to get a dremel and get to cutting some out.

nuklep1

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Yea my second sli card makes the path too long for the "hd audio" plug to reach the pins.

I'll try that, now i think about it, it might be reachable if it take it around the backside. I am still not sure if i should risk plugging the "hd audio" header anywhere at all.

my main concern is that I do Not want to fry my board. Given how many people have done it, i am kinda scared. It'll be perfect if someone comes along who knows exactly what to plug what so that I don't fry it

:pt1cable:

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
You tried looking up the pin definition on the motherboard manual and cross referencing it with the manual for the case(if it comes with one)?

If your case does not have a manual defining what all the pins on your HD Connector are you might find this link useful.
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CA2928604.pdf
It explains the pin outs for the standard HD and AC97 headers used on motherboards but you can use it to figure all the pins on the case's cable.

nuklep1

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I did read both manuals. here are the links:

mobo: check page 19
http://www.xfxsupportb.co.uk/780i_UserGuide_V2.pdf

case: check bottom of page3 and top of page 4
http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/900 manual_us.pdf

maybe its my comprehension, but the descriptions in there don't make it clear cut, what should be plugged in where. Its just I am not willing to do "trial and error" because the error might be too costly.

Also the mobo manual has a "what is what" picture on page 6. it lists the hd audio pins ad "headers" rather than "connection". it calls the fp audio "connection". does use of those to different words make a concrete distinction?

thatstheanswer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
nuklep1.. i hope is not too late but in any case for the rest of us who just did the wrong connection, here it is:
i plug the hd audio connectors of the case to the azalia hd audio on the 780i and i fry my audio cable,, thanks god my mobo is intact, this is what the tech dep toll me(microcenter)..
you got it plug the hd audio or the ac97 audio to the front panel connectors on your motherboatd not on the azalia hd audio thats for defferent connection(???) just dont put both at the same time use either the hd audio or the ac97...i hope this help something