HS/F suggestions needed

redhead33445

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Started building my new PC (GA-EP45-UD3P, E8400, Ballistix Tracer RAM, CM HAF 932 case) but can NOT get the stock HS/F to lock down properly. 3 pins will lock, not all 4.

I'd like suggestions for a HS/F that I can screw in/down, without those D**N pushpins! And that will clear the other heatsinks on this mobo. It appears to me that the stock HS/F is making contact with one of the heatsinks that surrounds the CPU and I don't think that's good.

At this point, money is not a big issue, I'd rather spend another $50 now than $160 later to replace the CPU.

I've gotten some ideas for products that meet my needs, except for knowing whether they will work with my mobo. Any suggestions?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Try the two hand method. One hand to push down on the circular frame and the other on the pin. Try a little wiggling action as you push down.

If all else fails, lock them down with the motherboard outside the case.

redhead33445

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Frostytech was good for reviews but nowhere could I find whether any units would be compatible with my mobo, and I couldn't find a link to any forums.

I might try the nylon nuts/bolts, but that won't necessarily fix the issue of contact between the CPU HS/F and mobo heatsink (It has Gigabyte printed on it. If the mobo is vertical, this heatsink is south of the CPU. I think it's the Northbridge.)

Maybe if someone has this mobo and is using a non-stock cooler....

redhead33445

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Tried to install this outside the case, on a towel on the antistatic bag. Just didn't have the strength. Might try your two-hand method one more time. Or start lifting weights. :wahoo:

OK - Had to take a look at a couple of photos of your motherboard. It's got those large chipset heatsinks. I can see where the chipset heatsinks would get in the way.

The Zalmann 9700 cpu heatsink will definitely fit your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Zalman+9700

The Xigmateck S1283 cpu heatsink will also fit your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Plenty of room in the CoolerMaster HAF 932 for eith of those two cpu heatsinks.