Sign in with
Your question

A quick once-over

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2008 11:42:14 AM

Greetings Hardwarians,

If you could give the following proposed build a quick glimpse, I'd be mighty grateful!

Mushkin DDR2 HP2-6400 Dual Channel 2048 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 4, Kit Of 2 1
Club3D GeForce 8800 GT Radial Heatpipe 512 MB, PCI-e 16x
Samsung SpinPoint T166 500 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz, 6 MB, Tray 1
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Aluminium
Asus P5E
Antec P182
Antec Truepower Trio, 550 watt, 24 pins

I'll be using it mostly for gaming and maybe some (simple) video editing and photoshopping.

I allready have another harddrive to install the OS on (anyone use Vista?).

Am I correct in thinking that with the P5E I can easily upgrade the dual core to a quad in the future? I like buying behind the curve.

Any other suggestions and/or comments are warmly welcomed.

Cheers,
Ash

More about : quick

June 7, 2008 12:28:24 PM

Nice choice of CPU, RAM and Case............but:

1) Switch that HD for Seagate 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11... its the fastest 500GB HD out there. ($85)

2) Switch the cooler to XIGMATEK HDT S1283 ... its the boss of coolers out there. ($35)

3) Switch the PSU to Corsair 550VX ...since it is higher tier than the opne you picked. (Higher tier = better). $70

4) Switch the mobo to Gigabyte EX38-DS4 ... since its a lot cheaper and performs as good as the Asus P5E. ($180). Same as the P5E, you can very well upgrade your CPU to any of the Quad cores later.

Regarding Vista... you need 4GB of RAM.

Related resources
June 7, 2008 12:54:22 PM

Do you even need the X38 features (dual PCI-E 2.0 with XFire and uhhh ...?). It might overclock better, but most if it's features can be found on the P35. I suggest you get a Gigabyte DS3L (~90$) or DS3R (~120$, if you need the extra SATA ports and/or RAID support). Put the money you save on a GTS to replace the GT.

I also support mihirkula first 3 suggestions (HD, cooler and PSU) and his statement about 4GB for Vista.

I run Vista 64 and I have no more issues than I had with any other OS. The games might run a bit slower on Vista, but I never really cared that much about losing 2-3%. I lost 5% on 98SE -> 2000, 2000->XP, XP->Vista; my guess is that I will lose 5% going from Vista to Windows 7 ...
June 7, 2008 4:03:10 PM

Thank all of you for your swift replies. I'll look into them tomorrow and get back to you. Maybe with some more q's. I'm afraid the sun is luring me into the street right now.
June 11, 2008 8:53:54 PM

Bloody sun, kept on going for days. ;-)

To get back to business.

The main attractions of the P5E to me are the pci 2.0 support (the future proofing) and the seperate sound card that comes with it. Pricewise I could save € 11,- (in Europe) when buying the Gigabyte. I know that's like a gazillion US dollars right now, but what with the extra soundcard I'd have to say the P5E is the way to go. But, correct me when I'm wrong (or you are more right).

The advice on the harddrive is spot on though. I'll definitely switch to the Seagate.

The same goed for the cooler.

As for the power supply: I allways wonder who gets to say something is tier such and so. I can only assume he is far more knowledgeable than I am. Consider it switched.

I'll have to think about the 64bit Vista.

Thanks again for your helpful replies! I'll keep you posted on how they will work out for me.

Greetings,

Ash
June 11, 2008 9:13:05 PM

ashley_j_holt said:
As for the power supply: I allways wonder who gets to say something is tier such and so. I can only assume he is far more knowledgeable than I am. Consider it switched.
The tiers are determined by the quality of the PSU, mostly the sustained maximum wattage compared to the peak and also the stability of the electrical "signal".
!