Newegg goes Phenom Crazy!!!

Yes, folks, our friends at the Egg have established themesleves as THE Phenom retailer. Included in their portfolio:

9950 Retail and OEM
9850 Retail and OEM
9150e -$179 65W
9650 - Retail and OEM
9550 - Retail
9600B - OEM
9750 - Retail and OEM


The only thing missing at this point is the 9350e. It looks like AMD is ramping K10 finally as the 13xx series showed up last week. Now all they need is to get Alienware to release a true Spider platform with 790GX and water cooled Phenoms plus 2x4870X2s.

Now that would be a high-end system. Phenom should get to 3.4GHz on water with SB750. Of course, I would want to let Vista turn it down so that I don't single-handedly overload my apartment's wiring.

J\K. It wouldn't be that bad, but it would be kind of hungry. But considering that I may have 2-3 hours per week for gaming, the chip would NEVER be under full load.
84 answers Last reply
More about newegg phenom crazy
  1. So... when ya gonna get a water cooler phenom spider system?
  2. Wouldn't the CPU bottleneck two 4870X2's? Big AMD fan here, but I don't know if that is the CPU I would use for those powerful cards. I could be completely wrong though....
  3. I also don't know that 3.4 is right.
    They are getting 3.3~3.5 on air with the new deneb core.
    With water cooling, I would think you could push more than just 3.4.
  4. LMAO, no, at 3.4Ghz, a Phenom is not going to bottleneck anything.
  5. Title is wrong. Should read AMD is finally shipping Phenoms to retail sellers!.

    Or

    AMD ships all of its working Phenoms to Newegg?

    Newegg did not go Phenom Crazy.... They just sell what the distributors or manufactures send them.

    Newegg went HD4850 Crazy or Newegg went Floppy drive Crazy, they have more then one listed......

    1Haplo
  6. weskurtz81 said:
    Wouldn't the CPU bottleneck two 4870X2's? Big AMD fan here, but I don't know if that is the CPU I would use for those powerful cards. I could be completely wrong though....



    A quick Google for 9850 overclock will show that at 3.2GHz\2.4L3, the Phenom is neck and neck with Penryn in CineBench. It was always said that Phenom doesn't shine until 2.6GHz+. Some guy at xtremesystems did it. If you have two 4870X2's you are playing at 2560 (unless you're crazy) so the GPU is taking the brunt of the work. Even mighty Penryn needs fast GPUs for high res gaming.


    A couple of weeks ago some guy tested quad SLI with 9850 and a 9770. The difference was minimal at high res. I'll see if I can find the link.
  7. Grimmy said:
    So... when ya gonna get a water cooler phenom spider system?


    As soon as I get around to it. My 4400+ is still churnign out the frames, code and VMs, so no rush. I'm definitely waiting for 790GX. I'm thinking about buying a BluRay for it and pumping out to the TV. Hopefully, plugging in the discrete card doesn't turn off the ports.

    I guess putting systems together isn't as much fun as it used to be.
  8. 1haplo said:
    Title is wrong. Should read AMD is finally shipping Phenoms to retail sellers!.

    Or

    AMD ships all of its working Phenoms to Newegg?

    Newegg did not go Phenom Crazy.... They just sell what the distributors or manufactures send them.

    Newegg went HD4850 Crazy or Newegg went Floppy drive Crazy, they have more then one listed......

    1Haplo



    No. The title is correct. They have had Phenom since the B2 stepping. I guess you can't take a joke. I was just shocked when I saw all of them finally. The 9650 was MIA for months.
  9. i want to see 9150e overclock with new chipset
    amd + ati for life
  10. Baron,

    Talk about being MIA for months.

    1Haplo
  11. I wonder what's behind the Phenom 9950BE HD995ZFAJ4BGH oem for $290?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103285

    If yall put up the money I'll find out :p
  12. Any indication/speculation as to when retailers will have 790GX mobos?
  13. 1haplo said:
    Baron,

    Talk about being MIA for months.

    1Haplo



    What can I say. Things were getting crazy.
  14. chunkymonster said:
    Any indication/speculation as to when retailers will have 790GX mobos?



    Last I heard they should show up at the end of the month. Anand did a test with a Foxconn and Fudzilla showed pics of another one.
  15. Wisecracker said:
    I wonder what's behind the Phenom 9950BE HD995ZFAJ4BGH oem for $290?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103285

    If yall put up the money I'll find out :p



    If you go throughout Newegg, you will find some weird prices. I've seen 14" laptops cost more than 17" ones. They might be new spins also. I heard AMD would drop a new one by Fall.
  16. where did the baron go for long? i missed you!
  17. lol, baron is BACK!
  18. ^Any reasoning why the 780G mobos are being sold but websites for Asus don't list any 780G chipsets and AMDs site doesn't have any drivers?

    I smell a conspiracy.
  19. ^Um look at the QX6850. Not a 45nm part and can easily OC to 4GHz.

    As for your idea, unless the die shrink includes major enhancements to the arch I wouldn't expect much more than 10-15% improvement over previous Phenoms.
  20. jimmysmitty said:
    ^Um look at the QX6850. Not a 45nm part and can easily OC to 4GHz.

    As for your idea, unless the die shrink includes major enhancements to the arch I wouldn't expect much more than 10-15% improvement over previous Phenoms.

    this too was said about the 4800 gpus,now Nvidia is caught in a storm.
  21. The difference is that the transition from 3800 to 4800 was an architecture change, while this is only a die shrink. A closer analogy would be 9800 GTX to 9800 GTX+, unless they are also changing the architecture significantly.
  22. Saw an ad from Newegg showing a 2950 BE for $220 and free shipping. Now if they had a motherboard with a SB750 chip to go with it, it might be worthwhile. My old 939 socket 4400+ is getting a bit long of tooth these days. It handles simple stuff, office apps, but none of the new games.
  23. ro3dog said:
    this too was said about the 4800 gpus,now Nvidia is caught in a storm.


    What this guy below said. Big difference.

    cjl said:
    The difference is that the transition from 3800 to 4800 was an architecture change, while this is only a die shrink. A closer analogy would be 9800 GTX to 9800 GTX+, unless they are also changing the architecture significantly.


    Exactally. The 3800 to 4800 was a major change. They added more shaders (more than 2x) 2x the texture units and they also made a lot of architectual changes compared to the R600.

    Deneb on the other hand is just a die shrink like Penryn and unless they are doing a whole bunch of changes Deneb will not make leaps and bounds in performance.
  24. jimmysmitty said:
    ^Any reasoning why the 780G mobos are being sold but websites for Asus don't list any 780G chipsets and AMDs site doesn't have any drivers?

    I smell a conspiracy.


    I'm not sure I understand but Asus has 4 AMD 780g's - and a 780v - - - > >
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639
    I imagine they will be adding a 780g 'sideport' version soon ...

    AMD chipset drivers are distributed by the OEM, who may elect to enable different features and adjustments, voltages, etc. thru their BIOSs; this would effect the available settings and tweaks from within AOD.

    cjl said:
    The difference is that the transition from 3800 to 4800 was an architecture change, while this is only a die shrink. A closer analogy would be 9800 GTX to 9800 GTX+, unless they are also changing the architecture significantly.


    ro3dog could have used a better analogy - something like R600 to RV670 which was effectively a die-shrink from 80nm to 55nm. Because of the NDAs no one can comment and so the move from 65nm to 45nm is a mystery. No one expects exceptional performance gains but AMD may have a few rabbits to pull out of their hat, and most importantly they should see big bumps in margins for Q408 and Q109.

    I think available desktop 45nms will be slow (to market-lol) in Q4 and you will see a really big push on the enterprise side. The 45nm Optys don't have to be as fast as Nehalem but if they are close enough in overall platform performance and efficiency I see guys 'Opting' to stick with an upgraded Socket F+. The wraps are coming off HT3 and the smackdown with Quickpath is of more benefit to AMD than fighting the GHz Wars on the desktop with Intel.
  25. Hey Baron, no Intel fanboys have come here screaming that the phenom's abundance at Newegg is a conspiracy to overthrow all governments on earth and create a global dictatorship by AMD yet. If Deneb can compete with the current Intel highend then I believe AMD will be able to compete with Nehalem well enough. Again, Nehalem will be much faster than Deneb... in the 3 or 4 true multi-threaded apps. Good thing about this is that prices of Nehalem will be manageable and will allow me to spend less on my Nehalem system, and more on some kick ass DDR3 memory!
  26. Now if only M$ would fix Vista 64 so it won't crash constantly with my 9850. (now waiting to see real benchies of the 4870X2) after the 4870X2 I may tread the WC setup again with the Quad (last tried it with an skt 940 FX-53). Glad to see ya back BM.
  27. 140 watts at 2.6...wow better get some nuclear reactor cooling pumps if you wanna hit 3.2 with that 9950...
  28. I think the 790GX / SB750 will be out at the end of the month.
  29. BaronMatrix said:
    A quick Google for 9850 overclock will show that at 3.2GHz\2.4L3, the Phenom is neck and neck with Penryn in CineBench. It was always said that Phenom doesn't shine until 2.6GHz+. Some guy at xtremesystems did it. If you have two 4870X2's you are playing at 2560 (unless you're crazy) so the GPU is taking the brunt of the work. Even mighty Penryn needs fast GPUs for high res gaming.

    A couple of weeks ago some guy tested quad SLI with 9850 and a 9770. The difference was minimal at high res. I'll see if I can find the link.


    Neck and neck with Penryn in Cinebench? What was the Penryn clocked at? I like how you conveniently left out that part... :sarcastic:
    Of course, saying a 3.2GHz Phenom is 'neck and neck' with a stock 2.66GHz Penryn doesn't sound nearly as impressive...


    I'm also interested in the quad SLI tests between the 9850BE and Q9770. Hopefully you can find the link, though I'm not holding my breath... the only comparison I've found so far tested with a single GPU (8800 Ultra) only: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/

    I think you'll find that some games are CPU bound no matter what the resolution (mainly RTS games and flight sims), though if you do play at 2560 x 1600 I agree for the most part you'll be more GPU limited than CPU limited.
  30. Quote:
    Quote:
    It was always said that Phenom doesn't shine until 2.6GHz+


    So true, just been waiting for them to get there.....I think 45nm would make a huge difference. Intel couldnt really get past 3ghz until their die shrink either. I mean of course people been overclocking them but for some reason Intel wouldnt clock them that high.


    I'm sure Intel could have released a 3.2GHz Kentsfield if necessary, but the lack of competition from AMD during the time probably didn't help things. In fact if memory serves me correctly, AMD didn't even have a quad core offering during the Kentsfield era (sorry, QuadFX doesn't count ;) ). By the time Phenom was launched Intel had already moved on to 45nm...
  31. Any information on new triple cores? To hold me over till Deneb in February, I'll just get an 8750 on September 15th and see if that overclocks on a Gigabyte 780G board to 2.7. The last benchmarks I've seen for the triple cores was in April and they compared favorably to the old 9600 with the TLB bios fix. How they compare to newer 95 watt quads is a different story.

    What I want to see, eventually, is a 65 watt Deneb at a native 2.6 or higher. From what I've seen in previews, they will still be 95 watt. I usually don't overclock (though it will be tempting on the 8750). Overall, I compare Phenom as an upgrade to prior AMD CPU's not to the newest Intels. I don't expect AMD to shine in that area until their next architecture.
  32. yipsl said:
    Any information on new triple cores? To hold me over till Deneb in February, I'll just get an 8750 on September 15th and see if that overclocks on a Gigabyte 780G board to 2.7. The last benchmarks I've seen for the triple cores was in April and they compared favorably to the old 9600 with the TLB bios fix. How they compare to newer 95 watt quads is a different story.

    What I want to see, eventually, is a 65 watt Deneb at a native 2.6 or higher. From what I've seen in previews, they will still be 95 watt. I usually don't overclock (though it will be tempting on the 8750). Overall, I compare Phenom as an upgrade to prior AMD CPU's not to the newest Intels. I don't expect AMD to shine in that area until their next architecture.


    Actually yipsi...go check the preview on anands for the new 750 chipset on the foxconn mb, sgould be a lot better than a 780 !
  33. I think they are a downgrade considering their own x2's kick their ass at everything non encoding related, esp. gaming !
  34. epsilon84 said:
    Neck and neck with Penryn in Cinebench? What was the Penryn clocked at? I like how you conveniently left out that part... :sarcastic:
    Of course, saying a 3.2GHz Phenom is 'neck and neck' with a stock 2.66GHz Penryn doesn't sound nearly as impressive...



    I think he meant dual core Penryn... :sarcastic:

    As for quad SLI, I'm not surprised, as CPU is hardly the bottleneck at high resolution. You need low resolutions to really show CPU's performance, but again, some people tend to argue that those resolutions are "useless", therefore should not be considered....
  35. jimmysmitty said:
    ^Um look at the QX6850. Not a 45nm part and can easily OC to 4GHz.

    As for your idea, unless the die shrink includes major enhancements to the arch I wouldn't expect much more than 10-15% improvement over previous Phenoms.


    qx6850?

    um the price?
    um an arm and a leg?
    um never seriously be considered when you can get a q6600?

    in short extreme edition parts shouldn't reckon in anybodys serious build /upgrade plans
  36. cjl said:
    The difference is that the transition from 3800 to 4800 was an architecture change, while this is only a die shrink. A closer analogy would be 9800 GTX to 9800 GTX+, unless they are also changing the architecture significantly.


    Hmm I would pick a different analogy. Maybe 7800gtx 256mb to 7900gt, thats a die shrink that went somewhere, i.e. a cheaper, smaller chip with much better oc potential. But even still that didn't bring any, if only very marginal ipc improvements.

    As for 9800gtx+, I think only (manufacturing) price and power consumption are the only things its got going for it. G92 seems to have some real bottlenecks at higher clock speeds with performance not really going up. Bandwidth starved perhaps.

    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUyMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

    Deneb is supposed to have 3x more L3 cache - gaming performance should really appreciate that - , lower power consumption and higher oc potential. If the new sb750 southbridge is anything to go by even current 65nm phenoms seem more limited by the (old) chipset then architectural issues than was previously thought. Generally that bodes well for oc'ing lower clocked x3 and x4 chips on 45nm as potential cheap and cheerful oc'ers.
  37. royalcrown said:
    Actually yipsi...go check the preview on anands for the new 750 chipset on the foxconn mb, sgould be a lot better than a 780 !


    I already have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G board. I really don't want to buy a new board until Deneb. I think I'll go 9650 instead of 8750. When I do go Deneb (or defect to Nehalem) in February 2009, then the 780G board and whatever processor's on it will be moved into an HTPC case.

    The preview does look good. What makes me wonder about upcoming AM3 is whether DDR3 is worth it at the price. A 750 board might be good for Deneb, though when I just looked at Newegg, I was still tempted by the Phenom 9950 BE. If only Deneb were out now. I'd hate to spend too much and see better 95 watt CPU's clocked at 2.6-2.8 come December.

    That's why $175 to $199 seemed like a good deal next month.

    When I was checking out Intel processors, I noticed the QX9650 is 130 watts. Not that I'd ever pay that much, just that 140 watts doesn't sound so bad after all!

    I guess I got spoiled by cool running 65 watt Athlon X2's, they're in all 3 of our PC's right now.

    royalcrown said:
    I think they are a downgrade considering their own x2's kick their ass at everything non encoding related, esp. gaming !


    Clockspeed is the B3's major problem when compared to Athlon X2's. Clock for clock, the Phenom's are 17% faster per core (if my memory serves me right). The problem is that the less expensive and lower power Phenom's are clocked at 2.1 to 2.3 rather than the 2.6 to 3.0 of the newer Brisbanes.

    If they clocked the same, they'd do just as well in games that only use one or two cores. In a few games, like Supreme Commander, they actually do better; but most games still don't use 4 cores.

    The 8750 actually compares well to the 5000+ BE, beating it in some titles and losing in others, but it's close:

    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/amd_phenom_8750/11.html

    I was thinking of that instead of the 9650 because it can be overclocked to 2.7 and it's stock is a bit better. I don't know how well the 9650 will do overclocked. At any rate, the Phenom's suffer because they can't overclock well compared to Athlon X2's and to C2D's.

    Heck, maybe I'll just switch the X2 4600+ over to the Gigabyte board, try to overclock it and just wait for Deneb, or Nehalem.
  38. Wisecracker said:
    I'm not sure I understand but Asus has 4 AMD 780g's - and a 780v - - - > >
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639
    I imagine they will be adding a 780g 'sideport' version soon ...

    AMD chipset drivers are distributed by the OEM, who may elect to enable different features and adjustments, voltages, etc. thru their BIOSs; this would effect the available settings and tweaks from within AOD.


    ro3dog could have used a better analogy - something like R600 to RV670 which was effectively a die-shrink from 80nm to 55nm. Because of the NDAs no one can comment and so the move from 65nm to 45nm is a mystery. No one expects exceptional performance gains but AMD may have a few rabbits to pull out of their hat, and most importantly they should see big bumps in margins for Q408 and Q109.

    I think available desktop 45nms will be slow (to market-lol) in Q4 and you will see a really big push on the enterprise side. The 45nm Optys don't have to be as fast as Nehalem but if they are close enough in overall platform performance and efficiency I see guys 'Opting' to stick with an upgraded Socket F+. The wraps are coming off HT3 and the smackdown with Quickpath is of more benefit to AMD than fighting the GHz Wars on the desktop with Intel.


    Weirdest thing...... I swear I was seraching through Asus website for it and couldn't find it. And that seems like an updated version of the site. Maybe I just looked in the wrong area.

    As for drivers, since its a AMD IGP with a ATI HD3K series I would expect them to have official drivers for it but meh I could be wrong.

    spoonboy said:
    qx6850?

    um the price?
    um an arm and a leg?
    um never seriously be considered when you can get a q6600?

    in short extreme edition parts shouldn't reckon in anybodys serious build /upgrade plans


    Um if you notice I was talking about just Kentsfield all together not that specific CPU. They stated maybe Intel couldn't get it to clock high and thats just an example. And I agree the Q6600 is the best deal (even against the 45nm quads) hence why I have one. But it was just a showing of the high clock ability of Kentsfield.

    ypsil, you know better than this. Intel rated it at a 130w TDP but it doesn't get anywhere near that at its speed. Plus 130w TDP @ 3GHz makes a 140w TDP @ 2.6GHz look bad, do you not agree?
  39. jimmysmitty said:
    What this guy below said. Big difference.


    Exactally. The 3800 to 4800 was a major change. They added more shaders (more than 2x) 2x the texture units and they also made a lot of architectual changes compared to the R600.

    Deneb on the other hand is just a die shrink like Penryn and unless they are doing a whole bunch of changes Deneb will not make leaps and bounds in performance.



    Shanghai is more than a die shrink as just a die shrink and additional cache won't get the 15%+ they are quoting. AMD is being really hush-hush about specifics. What they really need is to implement full support for the double pumped L1. I'm not seeing the advantage that would give. A guy at AMDZone wrote some C code that made K10 faster at integer.
  40. The_Blood_Raven said:
    Hey Baron, no Intel fanboys have come here screaming that the phenom's abundance at Newegg is a conspiracy to overthrow all governments on earth and create a global dictatorship by AMD yet. If Deneb can compete with the current Intel highend then I believe AMD will be able to compete with Nehalem well enough. Again, Nehalem will be much faster than Deneb... in the 3 or 4 true multi-threaded apps. Good thing about this is that prices of Nehalem will be manageable and will allow me to spend less on my Nehalem system, and more on some kick ass DDR3 memory!



    Can you really say you know how fast Nehalem will be? From the tests I've seen HyperThreading sucks STILL and the increase is from the IMC. Yes, we can assume that QPI will have plenty of bandwidth and Nehalem is basically Penryn but even when it releases this year we won't see 4Way scaling.

    That doesn't come until next year.
  41. royalcrown said:
    140 watts at 2.6...wow better get some nuclear reactor cooling pumps if you wanna hit 3.2 with that 9950...



    The key is that that's MAX power not average. With CnQ, you can clock down to 1.6GHz and still be able to perform most tasks. You may game for 2 hours. Even BluRay won't get near full load(especially if you have a Radeon).

    We have come a long way in perf from the last 140W chip. But considering that 2.6GHz 65nm X2 with less active logic is at 65W, it's pretty easy to see that it will take awhile to get less than double.

    But then you can get a 135x Budapest now that uses at least 20W less and should clock like the old Opterons. I would hope that AMD will push 45nm for Opteron mainly and move the server tweaks to the desktop. 83xx is running a lot cooler the Phenom.
  42. BaronMatrix said:
    Shanghai is more than a die shrink as just a die shrink and additional cache won't get the 15%+ they are quoting. AMD is being really hush-hush about specifics. What they really need is to implement full support for the double pumped L1. I'm not seeing the advantage that would give. A guy at AMDZone wrote some C code that made K10 faster at integer.


    I don't see why AMD would do a rework on the current arch rather than put that extra work into a new more efficient arch (K11).

    BaronMatrix said:
    Can you really say you know how fast Nehalem will be? From the tests I've seen HyperThreading sucks STILL and the increase is from the IMC. Yes, we can assume that QPI will have plenty of bandwidth and Nehalem is basically Penryn but even when it releases this year we won't see 4Way scaling.

    That doesn't come until next year.


    Anand has shown Nehalem to be 20-50% faster (and without the SSE4.1/4.2 extras) clock per clock against Penryn.

    BaronMatrix said:
    The key is that that's MAX power not average. With CnQ, you can clock down to 1.6GHz and still be able to perform most tasks. You may game for 2 hours. Even BluRay won't get near full load(especially if you have a Radeon).

    We have come a long way in perf from the last 140W chip. But considering that 2.6GHz 65nm X2 with less active logic is at 65W, it's pretty easy to see that it will take awhile to get less than double.

    But then you can get a 135x Budapest now that uses at least 20W less and should clock like the old Opterons. I would hope that AMD will push 45nm for Opteron mainly and move the server tweaks to the desktop. 83xx is running a lot cooler the Phenom.


    Still 140w is very high for 2.6GHz. If it was 3GHz+ it would be like whatever but 2.6GHz and that high? I can't imagine a true stock 3GHz Phenoms TDP.
  43. epsilon84 said:
    Neck and neck with Penryn in Cinebench? What was the Penryn clocked at? I like how you conveniently left out that part... :sarcastic:
    Of course, saying a 3.2GHz Phenom is 'neck and neck' with a stock 2.66GHz Penryn doesn't sound nearly as impressive...
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amdphenom9350e_070108145125/17172.png

    I'm also interested in the quad SLI tests between the 9850BE and Q9770. Hopefully you can find the link, though I'm not holding my breath... the only comparison I've found so far tested with a single GPU (8800 Ultra) only: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/

    I think you'll find that some games are CPU bound no matter what the resolution (mainly RTS games and flight sims), though if you do play at 2560 x 1600 I agree for the most part you'll be more GPU limited than CPU limited.



    Of course I meant a similarly clocked Penryn. I'm at the site so I'll post it as soon as I find it. I found the 3DMark scores: 13547 w/GTX

    That SLI test was linked from The Inq a few months ago.
  44. spoonboy said:
    Hmm I would pick a different analogy. Maybe 7800gtx 256mb to 7900gt, thats a die shrink that went somewhere, i.e. a cheaper, smaller chip with much better oc potential. But even still that didn't bring any, if only very marginal ipc improvements.

    As for 9800gtx+, I think only (manufacturing) price and power consumption are the only things its got going for it. G92 seems to have some real bottlenecks at higher clock speeds with performance not really going up. Bandwidth starved perhaps.

    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUyMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

    Deneb is supposed to have 3x more L3 cache - gaming performance should really appreciate that - , lower power consumption and higher oc potential. If the new sb750 southbridge is anything to go by even current 65nm phenoms seem more limited by the (old) chipset then architectural issues than was previously thought. Generally that bodes well for oc'ing lower clocked x3 and x4 chips on 45nm as potential cheap and cheerful oc'ers.



    I remember being shouted down for saying it was possible that 790FX with a two year old SB600 was causing Phenom's overclocking prowess, or lack thereof.
  45. jimmysmitty said:

    Anand has shown Nehalem to be 20-50% faster (and without the SSE4.1/4.2 extras) clock per clock against Penryn.


    That's what I mean, Nehalem seems to be only a SLIGHT improvement over the current high end, the Q9770. So if Deneb can compete with the Q9770 then it can compete with nehalem, atleast at first. Once there is better optimization then Nehalem will definitely shine. This also assumes that Nehalem will not be the extreme overclocker we are as used to in the C2D and C2Q era. I think DDR3 optimization should bring about the real performance.

    jimmysmitty said:
    Still 140w is very high for 2.6GHz. If it was 3GHz+ it would be like whatever but 2.6GHz and that high? I can't imagine a true stock 3GHz Phenoms TDP.


    140w is not that bad.... buy a bigger PSU, damn. A QX9770 is 136w at stock too and you don't see people freaking out about that.
  46. Not to mention QX9770's TDP is grossly overstated, and it does have the potential of smashing beyond 4.5Ghz.
  47. Wasn't there some discussion that Anand low-balled the Penryn benchmarks in the Nehalem preview?

    It's nice to talk about 45nm Phenom 'this' and Nehalem 'that' but the fact remains it's vaporware until it's up on the Egg for sale.
  48. ^ I agree. At least until there are solid benchmarks from several reliable sites released, it is all speculation.
  49. Wisecracker said:
    Wasn't there some discussion that Anand low-balled the Penryn benchmarks in the Nehalem preview?

    It's nice to talk about 45nm Phenom 'this' and Nehalem 'that' but the fact remains it's vaporware until it's up on the Egg for sale.


    Actually he had one incorrect score in one benchmark and he fixed it, but I do agree on waiting until they are ready to ship before I get too excited.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Product