Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Build.. Please Review and Criticize

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2008 7:47:31 PM

I am looking for a new build now that my wife and my son use my computer all the time. It has been 2.5 years since the last time I built a computer and I have not been keeping track with all the new stuff coming out.

Here is my first attempt at building a new rig. My use will mainly be for heavy gaming and home office.

Here is what I have come up with for now.

Mother Board: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

RAM: OCZ Flex XLC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2FX12002GK - Retail (enough for 4 gigs)

Video: EVGA 01G-P3-N895-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 KO 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply - Retail

Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Hard Drives (2 of them): Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

DVD Burner: Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

This gets me to about $1900 (newegg prices).

I will then get an LCD monitor (maybe 21"), wireless keyboard and mouse, and speakers.

Where should I make changes? I would like to add the monitor keyboard, mouse and speakers and trim this to about $2000.

Thanks.

June 7, 2008 8:06:32 PM

X48 is overkill and very expensive... swap that mobo for the Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 ($180)

Nice choice of CPU.

You get the best deal of 2GB RAM here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-ballistix-2gb-2-x-1gb-p...

Get the Corsair 750TX for just $99 here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresults.asp?queryty...

You should get the Seagate 500GB 7200.11 HD... since its cheaper than two 250GB drives.... and faster too.

Most imp: Do NOT get the 9800GX2 ... the new Radeon 4870 and Nvidia GTX 280 is just a couple of weeks away... you ought to wait for them. The best thing would be 4870 in Crossfire ...but anyways, get any one of them rather than 9800GX2.
June 7, 2008 8:15:42 PM

Nice... but...

i would go with a SLI board (the new sexy evga ftw) and get a single 8800gt because the new gtx280 are coming very fast..

for cpu ill go even cheaper with a q6600 and OC it to 3.3 or 3.6

hd... get 2x 500gig for 100$ each :) 

But its just my opinion... i change my pc each 2 years... so i go cheap :) 

Edit: if you play on a 21-22 monitor... lol you dont need a gx2
Related resources
June 7, 2008 8:38:27 PM

I usually do not change out my computer this quick, so I do not mind spending a little more up front if that means it will last a little longer.

I appreciate the advice.

So now I have a question.. Nvidia vs Crossfire. Which One? I have an Nvidia now, and I am extremely happy with it. But if the Crossfire will be better, I will switch.What is the advantage of one over the other?
June 7, 2008 8:45:50 PM

Xyron said:
So now I have a question.. Nvidia vs Crossfire. Which One? I have an Nvidia now, and I am extremely happy with it. But if the Crossfire will be better, I will switch.What is the advantage of one over the other?

Depends on how well the individual cards perform ... for example Nvidia 8800GT SLI performs better than Radeon 3870 CF..simply because 8800GT is a faster card than the 3870.

Now because you're building a rig now and that the new cards are just 10 days away, Crossfire is a much better suited option.... because Radeon 4870 costs only $320 while the Nvidia GTX280 costs $600. And 4870 CF beats GTX280. Unles you're willing to pay $900 for GTX260 SLI or $1200 for GTX280, Crossfire owns the competition.
June 7, 2008 8:55:46 PM

im getting that cpu in my new rig very good pick !

also im sure the rumor of the gfx comeing out is fake just like the gt1xx's 9800s are beating everything atm why would they release a new one. lol there is nothing out that beats a 9800.
June 7, 2008 8:57:49 PM

With a few changes you could get the same performance for 1000-1200
bucks.
June 7, 2008 9:58:57 PM

I really don' understand, the point is to help Xyron make good choices, and lots of comments, without pointing any fingers, are very biased and not explained or no proof is shown. Especially with the video card issue...

I don't really understand those opinions, if 'you've {not pointing at anyone in particualr} read reviews or seen benchmarks you would know that the 9800GTX2 right now is the top card! I am not saying this because I'm siding with ATI or nVidia, I used to always get ATI and never really thought much of nVidia, and now that I am building a new system I've done alot of research and put my biased opinions aside, truth is right now, nothing beats the 9800GTX2 ... even the strongest ATI at the moment is just slightly better than the 9800GTX at the extra cost as well. And comparing it to the new ATI board that is about to come out is.. pointless.. ALL we do know for now is that ATI and nVidia are coming with something new... who knows if ATI or nVidia will be the best?

From practical reviews, at the moment the best card to go for IS the 9800GTX2, I am NOT saying the ATI isn't good, but they have both demonstrated that they perfrom different in different types of games, for example, Crysis runs better with nVidia and Oblivion better with ATI, so really it might also be a matter of what game you want to play most. Only thing to do is the check out those games you want to play and see what card they benchmark better under...

I think if you would go for example for an EVGA 9800GX2 or even 9800GTX you could trade it in for the newer card when it comes out. Also if you do go for an nVidia video card, might I suggest going for a specialized nVidia motherboard, such as EVGA or any other certified nVidia boards...

June 7, 2008 10:11:33 PM

@ Xyron:

Here to help you make your mind up on the current top video cards... a few links to help you make a good choice;

Radeon 3870 x2 vs. GeForce 9800 GX2
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=731

GeForce 9800 GTX Review
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=732

ASUS Extreme AH3850 X2 Review
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=746

...and this is just a few! There are many more sites out there with real-world benchmarks and info on different products.

June 7, 2008 10:22:10 PM

Btw, there is almost no point in getting such fast ram, today's CPU's cannot even use that much bandwith, so it is wasted energy and money, the most efficient ram is 800MHz or PC-6400, seeing as how you can get much lower latency with it like CL3!!! It has been proven as well that games and Intel CPU take much better advantage of lower latency over high bandwith..

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=674
{..this article does talk mainly about DDR3, but the same applies to high speed DDR2..}

For example this OCZ ram here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_cl4_4gb_edition you could get for somewhere between $125 - $160 and you would already have the 4 GB's... and it would be perfect for gaming and overclocking and works best with nVidia SLI motherboards..

June 7, 2008 11:08:27 PM

well we know that the 9800s beat the ATI and ASus due to futuremark scores.

this is why they wont release a new card the supose 9900s or w/e the 9800s are beating everything. but yes ATI did look good on the specs but most games dont like ati and like geforce better :)  as what logan says at tigerdirect
June 8, 2008 3:51:33 AM

The video card thing needs time to sort itself out. What are you doing with this machine? unless it's heavy gaming then you do not NEED drossfire or sli.
Keep your bacic idea's, except do some research- dual video cards only make a significant difference in SOME of the games. As we need to wait to see if crossfire is going to work, then get a now (much cheaper) 8800gts with g92 chip, A good p35 mb, and a full version windows 64 bit vista premium or ultimate.(never read anything good about basic) With a full version you can sort out the video thing later with mb and two cards.

This leaves some of your budget intact for your monitor and maybe an extra few hundred for two veloci raptors, you can put in a raid 0 and probably smoke the machine with two (soon to be out dated) video cards.
lol ........ unless its one of the very very gpu intensive games.............
June 8, 2008 8:03:56 AM

godspeed7 said:
I really don' understand, the point is to help Xyron make good choices, and lots of comments, without pointing any fingers, are very biased and not explained or no proof is shown. Especially with the video card issue...

If you read again you'd notice the "proof" in the links I've provided ... so it better not be me you're talking about.

godspeed7 said:
I don't really understand those opinions, if 'you've {not pointing at anyone in particualr} read reviews or seen benchmarks you would know that the 9800GTX2 right now is the top card!

There is no card named 9800GTX2.

The fastest card in the world right now is the 9800GX2. At this point it is an utter waste to get it especially since the new cards are just a few days away ... and Crossfiring or SLIing them would obviously outperform 9800GX2. Advising someone to buy a previous gen card when next gen is just two weeks away is stupidity ...you should know that by now.

Quote:
now that I am building a new system I've done alot of research and put my biased opinions aside, truth is right now, nothing beats the 9800GTX2 ... even the strongest ATI at the moment is just slightly better than the 9800GTX at the extra cost as well. And comparing it to the new ATI board that is about to come out is.. pointless.. ALL we do know for now is that ATI and nVidia are coming with something new... who knows if ATI or nVidia will be the best?

"Best" has two meanings ... either the fastest buy ... or the most sensible buy. For example you could get a QX processor which costs one grand ... it's obv faster but is that worth the money? No. So is 9800GX2 worth the money? It never was. Even if you're rolling in money, it never was a good buy.

Read post number 5 again.

Quote:
even the strongest ATI at the moment is just slightly better than the 9800GTX at the extra cost as well

You obv have no idea about 3870 CF. And it costs less than 9800GTX too.

http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/03/geforce-9800gtx-revi...

Quote:
From practical reviews, at the moment the best card to go for IS the 9800GTX2

Again, there is no card called GTX2. And again, it not practical at all. Recommending 9800GX2 is the worst advice one would give, what with 4870 and GTX280 coming.

To megabud, houstonserenity, gadgetnerd: ...

Give somebody advice only if you KNOW what you're talking about... just saying "ooh this is nice get it" doesn't help...its not weekend shoe shopping...its a computer... you have to provide reasoning and benchmarks. Making sensible suggestions make these forums what they are.

oldandslow... you need to re-read the OP's post...he's already mentioned that its a heavy gaming machine he wants. So try and understand that he does need SLI/Crossfire.
June 8, 2008 11:46:28 AM

shocking u compaired the wrong card to that ATI ... and i do know what im talking about that GTX is the wrong card buddie.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

this card smokes the new ATI card. idc about specs look at the futuremark scores to prove it.

ati highest score is 30,000+

geforce is around 50,000+

and yes most games hate ATI also go tell tigerdirect logan his wrong he even proved ATI sucks mostly ingames then geforce does.

!