Is an ATI Radeon 256MB x600SE Hypermemory videocard workab..

Well, I finally finished downloading all the update files (took about
16 hours on dialup) and will be ready to play CoH today after work!
Can't wait! However, I am concerned with my video card.

As I read more, it seems like the default video card from Dell that I
have isn't as great as I thought it was. As I understand it, a
Hypermemory card only has HALF the physical memory it is listed as,
with the other half coming from system memory.

With that in mind, is the above card at least workable?

Other major stats are as follows (if needed);

WinXP Pro
1 GB RAM
160 GB HD
3.0 GHz processor

Thanks for any advice, take it and run.

Earl Allison

That card should be fine, I'd be more concerned with going over dial
up.

My current machine is

XP Pro
! GB Ram (forget the speed right now)
120 GB Drives
2.53 P4
128 MB Nvidia something or other
Apple 23inch HD Cinema Display

My machine runs the game fine...but I see easily when there's network
congestion

CoH seems to be very forgiving of video cards. You may have to drop the
resolution a bit, but it will run on some very mediocre cards. Your
dial-up connection is going to be a much bigger issue.
--
Zamboni

Xocyll wrote:
> Earl Allison wrote:
>> Well, I finally finished downloading all the update files (took about
>> 16 hours on dialup) and will be ready to play CoH today after work!
>> Can't wait! However, I am concerned with my video card.
>>
>> As I read more, it seems like the default video card from Dell that I
>> have isn't as great as I thought it was. As I understand it, a
>> Hypermemory card only has HALF the physical memory it is listed as,
>> with the other half coming from system memory.
>>
>> With that in mind, is the above card at least workable?
>>
>> Other major stats are as follows (if needed);
>>
>> WinXP Pro
>> 1 GB RAM
>> 160 GB HD
>> 3.0 GHz processor
>
> You will have no problem at all.
>
> I played CoH for 13 months on 1/2gig of ram, 1.4GHz Athlon and a 128MB
> GeForce3Ti200 running at 1280x1024.

That's better than what I'm running now:
512MB, 1.3GHz Pentium, and 64MB GeForce2 @ 1024x768

I do run into some problems though. After zoning 4-5 times (or less if
I'm teamed with many people), I have to relog. Seems like I'm
experiencing some kind of memory leakage.

> The only real problem you will run into is from the dialup.
> I had/have a real connection speed of 49.3k and changing between zones
> was slow - certain travel powers (super speed and superjump mostly)
> caused lots of connection lag in areas where there were lots of people
> and the dialup connection got saturated with information being sent.

Still on dialup, as well (though with slightly higher baud). Zoning
typically takes me about 30 seconds (or more if I've previously been to
4-5 zones).

Earl Allison <eallison@tiac.net> wrote:
> Well, I finally finished downloading all the update files (took about
> 16 hours on dialup) and will be ready to play CoH today after work!
> Can't wait! However, I am concerned with my video card.

I think that's still like twice the computer and twice the video card
than what you could even buy at the time CoH released, so you should
be able to run at ludicrous res/detail without much worry.

I run at 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 on Radeon 9800 cards. CoH *almost*
runs on an old laptop with 16MB of video ram, and it is generally
pretty forgiving when it comes to hardware reqs. CoV probably will
pushit up a bit but I think you still have easily the recommended
specs even for that.

G.

"Earl Allison" <eallison@tiac.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Well, I finally finished downloading all the update files (took about
>16 hours on dialup) and will be ready to play CoH today after work!
>Can't wait! However, I am concerned with my video card.
>
>As I read more, it seems like the default video card from Dell that I
>have isn't as great as I thought it was. As I understand it, a
>Hypermemory card only has HALF the physical memory it is listed as,
>with the other half coming from system memory.
>
>With that in mind, is the above card at least workable?
>
>Other major stats are as follows (if needed);
>
>WinXP Pro
>1 GB RAM
>160 GB HD
>3.0 GHz processor

You will have no problem at all.

I played CoH for 13 months on 1/2gig of ram, 1.4GHz Athlon and a 128MB
GeForce3Ti200 running at 1280x1024.

The only real problem you will run into is from the dialup.
I had/have a real connection speed of 49.3k and changing between zones
was slow - certain travel powers (super speed and superjump mostly)
caused lots of connection lag in areas where there were lots of people
and the dialup connection got saturated with information being sent.

In most missions however there were no problems. Some graphic lag when
lots of powers were going off at once sometimes - but you won't be
getting that since your card is fairly new.

Xocyll