Interesting location issue....

shyflyguy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Basic setup is a USB Cell modem on stationary PC using ICS out to a router (WRT54G v8), which then provides a b/g signal. Setup is located in typical government built cinder block and brick building. I need to extend the network to reach the interior spaces of the 9th floor of the adjacent building (also govt construction, although thankfully narrow building). I don't have much money to spend on this, so please keep a budget in mind. Running cable between locations has been explicitly forbidden. Due to the limited budget we are not permitted an additional host pc, or cell modem, and still serving multiple clients on 9th floor.

Options considered thus far-
1) swear @ govt construction, get regular high gain antennae from local store
2) swear @ govt construction, get directional high gain antenna online
3) swear @ govt construction, upgrade to MIMO N router (not sure if will help as all clients are G, or less)
4) swear @ govt construction, purchase patch cables, signal booster, and new antenna while going negative balance

Please provide opinion and input (cost estimate if known).

shyflyguy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Laterally about 60-70ft, vertical difference about 150ft.

If you go to the windows on 10th floor, can see but not connect to the network.
There are many radios operating in the vicinity in the VHF & UHF bands, but not in the 2.4ghz band. I guess I should also mention there are no windows on the 9th floor, and a stairwell, and elevator shaft between the room with clients, and the outside wall. Would not be able to even drop a cable from 10th floor to 9th floor, and equipment placement on floor other than 9th is not possible due to owner issues.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I would not recommend the N solution because of the range and use of G devices.

You should be able to find a directional antenna for the WRT54G that will
boost the signal to acceptable levels.

Don't know about the USB Cell modem signal levels, and that may be an issue.