Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hello..

Computer specifications:
CPU: Intel i7 Extreme 965 3.2Ghz.
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme rev.1
GPU: TWO ATi RADEON HD 4870X2 2GB
Memory: OCZ 1600 (6X2GB) 12GB Total.
HDD: 3 WesternDigial HDs with 2TB (6TB Total using RAID). and 2 WD 500GB SATA2 (inside, in the floppy place). 2 other SATA2 HDs outside ( 7 HDDs total).
Blu-ray Burner: LG BRD Burner
Case: Gigabyte-Poseidon-310
Power Supply (NOW-NEW): Thermaltake 1500W watt.

Two days ago I bought a new power supply Thermaltake 1500W after suffering of 1200W Coolmax:

My new 1500W works OK sometimes. For example, yesterday I lift the computer ON with crossfireX enabled and GTA IV game with the highest graphics options for 6 hours and it doesn't blink.. Then I ran stability test using EVEREST Ultimate for more than 2 hours and stressing everything (CPU-HD-MEMORY..).

BUT after I finished all tests I shutdown the PC and turned it on again it ran for a second then stopped ( the CPU fan makes a move then stops).

Sometimes, if I wait for 10 min then turn it on it works.

Or if I unplug the cables then turn the computer on then off, plug the cables it works.

------------------

I feel there is an electrical cycle problem..

Should I change my PSU (it is the third one for this PC).
Can't I reorganize the cables on a way that makes everything work all the time?

My computer is now working fine.. is it reasonable not to turn it off at all to avoid this problem ( for years I mean:)).

What do you think?

Please Help or tell an electrics expert about this problem.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Refresh us: why did you replace the last two PSU's? If you were experiencing the exact same problem with those PSU's, then I would venture to say its not the power supply, more likely your motherboard.

I feel like this topic would be better served in the homebuilt section...overclocking doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

The motherboard worked fine with old COOLMAX 1200W.
I did not face this problem with old PSU.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Sometimes certain power supplies and motherboards to not play well together, so that could be the issue, or maybe you are just really unlucky and got another bum PSU. The Enermax 1250W and EVGA Classified is one example of this.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Thank you fro commenting.

So.. Which one should I replace the PSU or MB?

Is there a software that can show me the activities of PSU & MB ?
I have Everest ultimate... can It help to specify the source of the problem?
Can I do tests that discover the bad part?

leo2kp

Distinguished
If the PSU has multiple rails, make sure you're not overloading any one +12v rail. To avoid the multiple rail problem, consider a PSU with a single powerful rail from PC Power & Cooling or another single-rail PSU (can't think of any other brands off the top of my head).

I would look in to other possibilities too such as motherboard.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hello..

Let me tell you what happens so far.

The problem is not clear yet. When I shutdown the computer and turn it on again it will not work directly. I have to wait more than 10 mins.

I feel that there is an electrical shock in the board and I have to wait till it vanishes.

There is a part of the motherboard that I did not use (I don't know what's the benefit of it).

There is nothing about it in the manual:
http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-extreme_e.pdf

This is the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128361

---------------------

If the PSU has multiple rails, make sure you're not overloading any one +12v rail. To avoid the multiple rail problem, consider a PSU with a single powerful rail from PC Power & Cooling or another single-rail PSU (can't think of any other brands off the top of my head).

I would look in to other possibilities too such as motherboard.

leo2kp, I did try to plug cables in different outputs according to the manual..

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Sweet.. I used the lite edition with single 4870X2 and here is the result:
Recommended PSU Wattage: 1236W

Thanks for the site.

-----------------

Can anyone give me an idea about the electrical shock.. I think I have to wait till it vanishes before turning the computer ON.

What about the part of the motherboard that I did not use (I don't know what's the benefit of it).
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/389/ironorsomthing.tif

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Your PC shouldn't have an electrical charge...that would be a bad thing. Your house is grounded right? I doubt you need that extra peice of the MB, its probably a tool that is included to help installing something. Don't worry about it, its not the cause of your problem.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
if you are touching the outside of the case and getting a shock that is not a regular static charge type of feeling than i would lean towards looking for shorts or groundouts. If you put a multimeter on the case where you are talking about touching and you get a voltage potential with respect to ground you have wiring problems either in the PSU or your electrical outlet at that location. It would not be the first time an outlet went bad or a ground got messed up, it does happen..

or try unpluging some components that are not needed and see if the problem goes away - you could be overloading a particular rail on your psu. make sure that the load is correctly distributed. or you might want to try a single rail type PSU like the PC power and cooling models.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

I'm putting the PC on a wooden table. I don't have multimeter at the moment I'll try it later.

I try to unplug some/all components but it does not work all the time..

I try to change the place of cables but I'm not sure of the best choices.

More information about the PSU:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2008/04/16/thermaltake_toughpower_1500w_w0171_psu/1
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/w0171/w0171.asp#

They split output power into 2 parts each one has 750w.. Am I pushing it too far?

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
IF there IS somehow a problem with your PC it's not because you don't have enough power from your PSU. There may be a grounding issue, there may be a dead PSU issue, there might even be something else that you're missing. I ran a similar system on a HX1000 and never had any problems.

Maybe you should take the time to remove your parts one by one, try swapping in the old PSU, try different slots on the mobo.

Again, you could have run all of that on a GOOD 1000 Watt PSU. Don't throw away any more money, if you DO want to throw away money, take the PC to a proper shop and have them look at it. That'd be better than wasting more money on a 1500 watt PSU.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Read the conclusions on that Bit Tech review... they were running Tri-SLI (Yes only 9800GTX, but still a decent amount) a QX9770 (Fairly power hungry) and were pulling about 515 watts at PEAK. Unless you've had all defective units, the problem most likely resides elsewhere in the system.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

Using that site with your specifications, even doing an extreme overclock, using 100% TDP and system load and adding in things that I "guessed" you might have, I couldn't get above 1100.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

I have LG Blu-ray burner now.. and many USB devices, including:
USB HDD
Bluetooth
scanner
Ni Mh battery charger (for charging small batteries).
Printer.

I'm using all SATAII ports on the motherboard.. I was using even the IDE. (I removed it).

I'm using all memory slots. (6x2GB 1600Mhz).

In the test I also added more devices that I'm going to use later ( Black Magic, for example which will be used for capturing HD Video).

Even with all of that, I would be somewhat surprised if you could actually in reality overload a good quality 1kw, such as the Corsair HX1000W. You definitely wouldn't be able to overload a 1500W PSU, such as your current one. Basically, if there is a problem, it isn't your PSU.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
@OP: Did you remember the motherboard stand offs?

If you mean the golden stands that link the motherboard to the case.. Yes, I did each one of them.

Someone may ask so, at the power options I choose high performance: Never turn off the display, never put computer to sleep.

The computer is working perfectly while it is ON the performance are great..
In fact, yesterday I stress CPU & Memory 100% using Prime95 (64bit) - 25.8 for about half an hour whit no problems at all.

The only problem now is turning the PC off after a long use.. I have to wait, as I said, more then 10 mins before turning it on again.

Di7

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

I have to wait 3 days in the nearest shop, they are crowded and they needs more time to figure out the problems with new technologies (as one of them said!)..

I think the problem is very small and can be fixed easily but it needs focusing and tests..

If I did not figure out I'll replace the motherboard under the warranty.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
:pfff: You spent $1000 on an i7 965 just so you could OC it to 3.33ghz?!? What is wrong with you?!!!!!!!?

1/2 hour is not enough time to determine whether your OC is stable...it gives you a good idea, but you should run it for at least 12 hours, preferably 24, and make sure you enable round-off checking, otherwise your PC will not flag the errors it encounters and will keep testing. Although at 3.33ghz I doubt you are encountering errors.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

Next time just throw your money into a prebuilt system please. You clearly don't know how a PC works.

This was my setup... on a HX1000, and I NEVER had a problem.

Q9550 oc'd to 3.8 GHz (probably sucked back more juice than your current CPU)
2 x 4870x2 OC'd
4 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600
2 x 300 GB raptors in Raid 0
4 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
Asus Xonar DX2
LG Blu Ray/HD DVD player
LG DVD Burner
8 x Noctua Case fans

2 keyboards (G15 and Nostromo) like these really suck back the power anyways.
Mouse
Speakers
Headphones
Printer
Vinyl Cutter

etc.

All of this ran on the HX1000. I never even noticed it get warm and could have probably added more things to my PC.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think you're just wasting our time. Good luck with your PC, I hope you figure it out.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
first make sure that the video cards are being fed by the larger +12v rails, that would be 3 and 4.
see if that makes a difference

Then, try running just one video card for a while and see how that goes.
pull one card out then benchtest for 24 hours, remove that one, replace with the other. retest for another 24. If you get no failures, that points to three possibilties

1. second pci slot is possibly bad - a remote possibility

2. your power supply just cant handle the load on a particular rail - switch to a single rail type.

3. possible overheating in a particular area or chip that only happens when both cards are installed. two cards of this size will generate HUGE amounts of heat
and the PSU also puts out huge amounts as well. try running with the case open maybe put a fan blowing in cool air. retest.

BTW - is your PSU , certified for this configuration?

check here- http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=3#ATI%20Radeon™%20HD%204870%20X2