DFI LP LT P35 windows install problem

octopus13

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Hello, this is my first post and i just wanted to say i like this website alot. I have started building a semi new computer. I started out with a stock Dell Optiplex 320. I replaced the motherboard with a DFI LP LT P35 UT because i was putting it in a more air'y case and needed a diffrent form factor. I kept the 80 gig SATA hard drive, 1g of generic RAM, and Pentium D 3.0ghz. I started out with the board not posting. I could not figure it out, and being my first build i started randomly plugging things in. I ended this by plugging a 4 pin power connector into the 6 pin slot on the motherboard. I fried my PSU. After getting a new PSU everything posted and windows booted up. There was an error message that i had to re-activate my copy of windows XP. I could not get my keyboard or mouse to work so i decided to reformat. I started to format but after copying the files to my hard drive and rebooting the setup would not continue. I have no clue as to why. If you could offer any help that would be great. Thanks.

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Wow.

Ummm, huh. Well, I'm guessing maybe you're using a wireless or USB keyboard/mouse, and your BIOS doesn't recognize that. Make sure you have a wired mouse/keyboard (preferably non-USB for a lot of boards) for installation purposes.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
^ Agreed. I always keep a PS2 keyboard handy for mucking about.

Recommendation for next time. Dell is not upgradeable. If you plan on upgrading etc. go to your local PC shop and buy one of their pre-built systems.

That short on your PSU is weird... It might've damaged components on the motherboard.

octopus13

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I dont think it is my keyboard, i can navigate bios and windows install disk. The problem is after i format my partitions and copy the install files to the hard disk, the installation will not continue. Also my power supply shorted out i believe and did not cause damage to my mother board. Lastly, i am not upgrading dell, I am just taking their parts. Think like buying OEM pc parts. I just ran a couple more tests.

UPDATE:

I have bought 1 gig of high quality RAM, an EVGA 8800gt and a Q6600. hopefully this will clear up the problems. Thanks and any additional help would be great.

octopus13

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
No one has any more suggestions??? Has anyone at least heard of this problem affecting one of the components i have listed?