Acer Aspire 5682WLMi Display Problem

emailgmohan

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Hi,

I've got a problem with my Acer Aspire 5682WLMi Notebook. When I start the notebook the screen is more or less black. I can see the Acer logo in the background though when it passes the bios....just very faint. As if the image is there but the light isn't. When I connect it to a normal monitor it works perfectly. I've tried setting the contrast but it to no avail. Anybody know a solution? Should I open it up and check any loose connections or should I send it to Acer? (it's not under warranty anymore). I am not a qualified PC technician and do not want the repair to be expensive!

Thanks.

emailgmohan

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks, I read that a Lid Switch could be a problem but don't know the location. A friend told me that it might just be an inverter thats conked off and not the backlight itself!. Not sure what is....I live in Tokyo, Japan

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Yes its probably an inverter problem.

We can rule out that its a software issue since its having the problem even in the bios, and we can rule out that its the video card itself since when you hook up to an external screen it works just fine. It's a screen issue.

emailgmohan

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Right, I agree with you.
any idea where the Lid Switch is located for Acer Aspire 5672WLMi? Just to cross check.....
1) What could be the total cost of repair? and 2) is it better to be serviced by Acer Japan (expensive) or at a local PC repair shop(unsure of expense)?

am now thinking of connecting my laptop to a TV/external LCD monitor and wonder if this might work out cheaper?

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Im not sure on the whole lid switch is located, but i can tell you that it would probably be better to have you local pc repair shop fix it for you. They are probably much cheaper and do the same quality work.