Sign in with
Your question

Sata to IDE adapter hard drive not working

Last response: in Storage
September 27, 2009 1:43:13 AM

I am installing a brand new SATA hard drive as the only hard drive to a IDE Mobo via an adapter ( I have done the same thing to my own computer with no problems) The green light on the adapter is on so i know that its getting power. Bios doesnt recognise the hard drive and when I try to install XP it says that it has not found a hard drive. I have checked all connections and everything is ok.I hope someone can help me.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 8:11:42 AM

Assuming you've tried it on another computer, and nothing happened, it's most likely an issue with your motherboard. Have you tried connecting an IDE drive with your mobo, and see if it was detected within the BIOS menu?
a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 12:49:51 PM

What motherboard? What drive?
It is pretty hard to give you a decent answer with "I tried to hook something up to something and it won't work, what is wrong?"
Related resources
a c 348 G Storage
September 28, 2009 3:39:34 PM

If you're using an adapter to hook a SATA drive into an IDE port, how does the adapter allow you to set the Master and Slave on that IDE port? The port MUST have ONE Master. If your drive is the only device on the port, it has to be set that way via the adapter. Or, if the port already has a Master, then you MUST set the second device to Slave via the adapter. IF you are putting a hard drive and an optical drive on the IDE port / cable, it is recommended that the hard drive take the Master role, and let the optical be Slave. Ideally, Master should be on the end of the ribbon cable, and Slave in the middle. Also, I assume you have provided the SATA drive with power from the PSU?
September 29, 2009 1:47:23 AM

r_manic said:
Assuming you've tried it on another computer, and nothing happened, it's most likely an issue with your motherboard. Have you tried connecting an IDE drive with your mobo, and see if it was detected within the BIOS menu?

I havent tried it on another computer the hard drive is brand new and so is the adapter. The Motherboard and bios is detecting the old hard drive when i put it back in.
!