Sign in with
Your question

New computer...Extra graphic card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2008 7:29:59 AM

Hi everyone. Im new here. I have a few questions if thats ok.

I ordered a computer and it mistakenly came with 2 8800gt nvidia graphics cards. I checked my invoice and it listed the system as

E8400 3000ghz duocore 1333fsp

4gbs ram

1-8800gt nvidia graphics card.

Something along those lines...not sure of the exact termanology.

Anyhow it has a 750wt power supply.

Will this be enough to run both cards?

Also. The way I found out about the extra card was I was getting really good FPS in WoW. I know its not a graphic intense game but with my old dell dimension i was running 512mb ram with a p4 3000ghz with a 256mb geforce fx5500 and I was only getting at MAX 20fps and that was on the lowest possible settings.

Now i was jsut looking around the properties tab of my new xps630 and saw 2 graphics cards listed in the tray. I thought it was a mistake and put it out of my mind.

Then a little while later after it was bugging me lol I popped my case open and low and behold.....2 shiny nvidia 8800gt's sitting there.

My other questions is,will the stock fans and case fans be enought to cool them? I noticed some heat comming off of them and lightly touched one and it was HOT!!!!

I dont want to fry anything and am still under warranty but im jsut curious.

Is there a cooler you guys could recomend?

Thanks alot.
June 26, 2008 7:33:45 AM

I you do not overclock them, it should be OK. These cards are designed to run in a standard environment, so any computer case should be OK to cool it.

If you think you will overclock them, then buy better fans.

PS : you,re very lucky !
June 26, 2008 7:37:39 AM

Thanks sam.

Being as un-competer savvy as i am I have a few more questions.

Would this setup be SLI?

When I try to test my computer on the Crysis testing site it tells me I dont have enough video memory to run crysis.

Would 2 512mb cards read as 2 or 1?

Will getting a few extra fans or cooling systems to be safe be ok?

I payed less than $1200 dollars for this system. Did i get a good deal? It was refurbed but came with the waranties a new one comes with.
Related resources
June 26, 2008 7:47:27 AM

Hello to both of you (Moktarr & sam_1421)
2 8800GT will be of SLI setup.

Would 2 512mb cards read as 2 or 1?
Nope. It'll read as 2.

If you don't overclock them, the temps will be OK you need not buy new fans, unless ventilation around your case is bad.
It's a good deal don't worry.

The Crysis problem, hmm, maybe your hard disk is, quite full? Maybe, here's a few guide to increase virtual memory.
http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/01A614...
http://ask-leo.com/virtual_memory_how_do_i_adjust_virtu...
June 26, 2008 8:34:48 AM

Thanks romulus.

It passes everything but the graphics card part.

Its telling me i only have 1 8800gt. There are very surely 2 in my computer...the are connected with a little ribbon thing.
June 26, 2008 9:48:22 AM

I can't really help with your problem, but I just wanted to say that you're very lucky.

It reminds me of a time when I got 2 gigs of ram rather than 1 due to wrong packaging.
June 26, 2008 9:52:47 AM

Yeah SLI is enabled. Would the sites that "test" if i can run a game "see" both of them if they are in sli?

Its strange. I know i sound inept. lol.

Is there a site that will tell me exactly what im running? Im kind of anal and now im worried something is wrong.
June 26, 2008 10:20:32 AM

Ok I did some checking.

There is a grapchis card in pci slot 4 and 5.

This is indicative of 2 cards right?

I am getting paranoid that they will think i stole something from them now.

!