After a clean install (xp) on a new HD, my evga 7900gt isn't working right. I installed the drivers twice, but I still can't even scroll on a web page without choppiness. The card doesn't show up in my device manager, but it is being detected by Everest, and I have video. I downloaded the EVGA precision software and when I try to run it, I get an error telling me that no supported devices were detected.
Anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help!
actually this is very characteristic of the VGA drivers not installed.
you dont need to install chipset drivers first... but which driver did you install? in device manager, does it show up as "vga compatible display adapter" or something under unknown devices?
Which drivers? I ran the mobo CD with the drivers, flashed the BIOS to the newest version, ran all windows updates, and installed the graphics card drivers twice.
I got the newest drivers from the Nvidia website. It runs through the installation no problem, but doesn't change anything. Last night, after the 2nd install, I got a message in Device Manager properties on the 7900gt that the device could not start, and that it is using no resources because there is a problem with the device.
This card, mobo, and CPU were all working fine not even a week ago. I moved them into a new case, and added a new HD, installed XP Pro, and this is what I get. There is also a problem with the audio, but that's for another day...I'd rather get my graphics working for now.
Just in case anyone cares, I fixed the issue. Apparently, the latest drivers from the Nvidia website either are made excusively for Vista, although it doesn't specify that, or they are just corrupt. I uninstalled that version (it was the newest, 157.41 I think) and installed the forceware version 93.71. Problem solved.