[P5Q Deluxe] Power On --> 5 seconds --> Power Off --> Sad Face

Obed

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hi Guys / Gals,

I'm hoping you can help, I've just bought some rather expensive PC components to build a new PC and it isn't booting! The behaviour is as follows:

(1) Press the motherboard power switch
(2) You hear everything start to power up (disk / GPU / DVD / CPU)
(3) 5 seconds passes
(4) Motherboard cuts out
(5) 5 seconds passes
(6) Everything powers up but nothing displayed on screen.

What's frustrating is the case doesn't have a PC speaker so I have no means to troubleshoot, but the specification is as follows:

Motherboard: P5Q Deluxe
PSU: PC Power & Cooling -- Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8600 (Wolfdale @3.13)
GPN: HIS ATI 4870 x2
RAM: Corsair 8Gb (4 x 2 Gb sticks)
Hard Disk: Western Digital SATA 500Gb

Troubleshooting steps taken:

(1) Removed all parts except CPU --> same behaviour
(2) Added a couple of sticks of RAM & GPU --> same behaviour.

I'm in the process of ordering a speaker, but in the meantime any ideas on what the problem is? PC Power & Cooling are meant to have a pretty rigorous testing regime for their PSU's so I suspect it's a motherboard fault....?

Obed

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Ops, must be tired. I meant to say e8500 for the CPU. Also to clarify the memory is four 2Gb sticks, the SKU iss TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.

omnibee

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I have the same problem. My case has a speaker but it does not help, no beeps, nothing.

The motherboard is P5Q. The PSU is the one that comes with Antec Sonata III.

The motherboard has EATX12V 8-pin connector but unfortunately the PSU has only one 4pin 12V connector. I tried the following for the CPU power:
- 8pin power connector (dunno what it is)
- 4pin 12V connector

The result is the same. I suspect this has something to do with PSU and power connectors. If anyone knows why the motherboard would behave as described above, please tell! Thanks.

omnibee

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
JFYI: the only solution to my problem was to replace the motherboard. Replacing the CPU and PSU did not help.

TRENDING THREADS