Nvidia Physx vs aegis ppu

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello. After reading the latest rumors about the physics issue in 3dmark, I was wondering something.

I have a p35 board with an 8800gtx and a free secondary x16 slot (x4 internally). Would a 8800gts320 or perhaps just a 8600gt not be able to provide significantly more ppu calculations than an aegis ppu? The aegis still retail at about 120€ currently, and one could get a gts320 around 100€ ; and a 8600gt for just about half of that.

Edit: And can someone tell me if one has the power to decide which gpu is to do physics? so that a game wouldn't try using the 8600 for graphics and the 8800 for physics or something silly like that

On a side note - does the new race driver : grid make use of physx? Since it's a codemasters game I'm hesitant to go and spend my money on it, as they always run sub optimal on my systems.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
go read up on CUDA, the first version only supports 1 GPU, however i believe there is a v2.0 comming out to provide support for SLI...

YOU DONT NEED AN AEGIA CARD IF YOU HAVE A G80 or above.

Nvidia bought them out then put the Phsyx technology into there G80s and up.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
No he doesn't need an AEGIA card as that is the whole purpose of the new upcoming Nvidia Physx driver integrated into the Physx software. It will use his GPU for physx bypassing the need for the aegia cards. Thats the whole benefit.

This has been in the works for a long time. The third slot on high end Nvidia SLI Mobos has not been necessarily for TRI-SLI but rather for TWO Nvidia cards in SLI and a Third board which doesn't even have to be the same model that can do the Physx exclusively. For example you could buy two GTX280's in the future, SLI them and leave your old 8800GTX in the third slot for doing Physx

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
i honestly think its better for the cpu to do physics because im pretty sure today's cards are going to drop fps while physics is enabled. y not let cpu do it most people are starting to use quad cpus which physics can easily be done through. i wouldnt buy a card just for physics yet just wait till the drivers come out and hear wat experts have to say about it.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

The physx are more efficiently done on the GPU as it no longer has to be bused across the PCIE. However I do believe it will be a burden to a single GPU trying to take on the extra task of Physx processing along with all its already heavy frame rendering tasks. The folks who will see the most benefit are SLI or X2 cards that can better handle the extra burden and the highest benefit will come to users who have SLI and can use a third card for physx exclusively. I see those drivers come soon.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Omg! no offense people, but did anyone actually read my post? I know I'm tired, and I know I don't always state my questions clearly when I am so. However I didn't actually get any response to what I wanted to know.
I know what cuda is, I know what sli is, I know nvidia bought aegis, And I know pretty much anything else mentioned here. But that's not what I was asking!

I was asking if buying a 8600gt or an 8800gts320 would yield better performance than buying one of the old aegis ppu's (they are still being sold), and I was asking if, when having two graphics cards in my pc, I would be able to decide which should be used for visual output, and which should do physics. I could after all end up with a card doing nothing at all, because my gtx would get assigned both tasks. And as one of the replies above mentions that would yield less performance. (although that reply ignored the fact that we were talking about multi gpu setup without sli enabled)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I can download g80 supporting software already, it just ain't whql certified yet. Anyway, that still doesn't much answer my question.

Nevermind, I'll just figure stuff out myself instead of asking people here.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I had the same feeling as the OP in reading the first 5 replies, typical behavior, they read the thread title and posted there replies based on that, no need to actually read the post...

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i read and answered his question.

to put this as simple as possible

no you cant choose which card does what, CUDA currently does not fully support SLI.

Why are you bothered about the performance of the AEGIA card vs the geforce??? a quick search in google would tell you the g80 cards would be theoretically faster at it.

i cant find these non-whql drivers for the G80 series and ive been looking.

dont care about the racing game, racing games are for consoles only imo.

if you check the Nvidia CUDA site you will get a better picture.

edit

as for the thread title, you should ALWAYS think hard before writing it.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-drivers-physics,5758.html
"If you want the PhysX Application Software in stand-alone form, download link is http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_8.06.12_whql.html . So far, supported boards include GeForce 8, 9 and the GTX 200 series."

They're whql drivers actually - my bad. Doesn't much change my point though.

Anyway, yes this time around you actually did reply to my questions instead of random rant. Anyway. You keep mentioning sli - do the cards have to run sli to use one of em for physx ? I thought to understand that wasn't nessecary (that would essentially limit the use to the select few with an nvidia board).

And as for theoretical - yes, but theoretical the ati 3750 card is more powerful than my 8800gtx - in reality it just isn't.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
unfortunatly in the "products supported" tab the products listed are:
GeForce GTX 280 GPUs
GeForce GTX 260 GPUs
GeForce 9800 GTX GPUs
AGEIA PhysX Processor (All)

still no-go for the G80 although they are meant to be able to do it.

im not 100% on the sli capabilities, but a quick read of the CUDA forums will tell you that they are developing some sort of SLI function but i havnt seen anything detailed.