Ati annouces new "All In Wonder" card for $199!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Somewhat excited about this card. I've been wanting to start migrating systems to Vista and no TV/Record functionality with my (fully functional) AIW X1800XL has been holding me back.

-Wolf sends

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
uhhh.... 5% to 15% more pwoerful than a HD3650 *cough* weak *cough*.... :pfff:

the x1900 AIW was truly a beautiful card and the MSRP was alittle higher than $200 if I rememebr but it was not some mainstream POS GPU though... :non:

wth ati...stop being so gay... :fou:

but hey if it makes money, who kurrs, right?

YEAH! :lol:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I do know what you mean. I had an AIW Radeon 8500 128 and it was a gamer card for it's generation just like the non AIW version. I had an AIW Radeon 9800 Pro, and it was a gamer card for it's generation. I missed out on the AIW X1900 because I only had P4's with AGP back then and the cards were gone by the time I went Athlon X2 with PCIE.

I really pined away for at least an AIW 3850, and would love to see an AIW 4850. I'd pay the difference for the extra chip onboard. Back when I got the AIW Radeon 9800 Pro, it was almost $100 more than the non AIW version.

If they come out with a gamer card that's also an AIW, then I'd go for it. As is, I'd only put this All in Wonder into an HTPC. Still better than a PCI card as it's not likely to stutter on video due to the aging PCI bus.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Folks,

I agree on having higher-end GPU as an option, but in this day and age, the FM radio is too old-school, how about HD radio? If they must shove FM in the package at least throw in AM too.

Rick

ignamax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Quite interesting but all such devices still severly crippled by Hollywood decree.

No HDMI or at least component in. Can't use HD PVR for satellite.
No dolby digital 5.1 recording.

Over the air HD recording could be useful, assuming there were interesting channels.

Digital cable recording useless in Canada.

Guess you missed this bit then.
ATI All-in-Wonder™ HD Accessory Kit*
Upgrade your PC into a media powerhouse with an ATI All-in-Wonder™ HD accessory kit. The kit adds composite video, S-video, stereo audio input and component output. The perfect addition to your ATI All-in-Wonder HD. :)

@ xX12amanXx,
You just made my christmas card list :)
Want one :bounce: Want one :bounce: Want one :bounce:
I agree it would be nice if it was a 3850/4850 and who knows if this sells we may see them(fingers an devery thing else crossed).
Guess what the best HTPC card is now ?
Mactronix :D

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Yikes i'd rather get a standalone TV-card. 5 tp 15% more powerful than HD3650 LOLL is ATI joking or something???

nope they clearly are going for the HTPC crowd, the least the could have done was stuck a 4850 gpu on it...

ronka, on a side note, chill with the trolling, monsta was already reprimanded and it may not matter to you.

but you know you may want to tone it down, just a little bit...

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
4850 would be too power hungry for what they are going after for. I believe "most" people on their HTPC's don't want to have to have it suck up 400+ watts of energy.
Plus the card is more than powerful enough to handle the multimedia work and decoding.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

true no doubt about it. well then why not a RV740, a little but more powerful than a hd3870 [480 as opposed to 320, and other differences] , supposedly rumored to be on 45 nm too. that would be perfect for an AIW card.

Intersting. As a former owner of 2 (PCI AIW-128 and 8500DV) nice to see them revive the series.

I'm external now, so won't tempt me back, but maybe having them will help the capture support and vista interfaces on the 650 tuner cards.

That's not completely true, but yeah Cogeco, Rogers and Shaw have extremely limited QAM HD options, unlike US providers like comcast, etc.

Still nice the few channels you can get 4 here plus music and some on demand.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Was thinking about that as well, Mac (not that I'd try it). Nothing in the specs say anything about the card being Crossfire (or CrossfireX) capable. Best guess would be no.

-Wolf sends

Thinking about it though... Maybe Hybrid CrossfireX capable (when matched with the HD3200)???
Word has it they'll show up in the US sometime next month.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I still think they should team up the AIW function with something like the rv740, especially if what they say about the 45nm production, although i have no clue when that would happen.

keeping in mind the source was fudzilla, which i'm not sure how reliable it is or isn't

Wolfshadw

Titan
In years past, we've seen the 9800, X800, X1900; all top (or near top) of the line All-In-Wonder cards. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see in the months/years ahead the 4650 HD-AIW, 4850 HD-AIW, 5850 Super HD-AIW, and so on. :D

-Wolf sends

It depends on how well they can fit the GPU power circuitry and AIW interface elements on the board without lengthening it.

The X800 caused them fits in board design, and with the X1900 they crippled the card a bit in making the AIW version.

I don't know if they would be able to easily fit all the required hardware on a current high end HD3K or 4K board.

A daughter board would help, but at that point, might as well just get a TV wonder and the best components for the Graphics and Tuner separately on their own boards.