Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.

In my case it's a given.

Typing will be slower than normal for a couple of days........

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:4329138e$1_2
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>
> In my case it's a given.

I can't do anything mechanical without hurting myself somehow. So naturally
I sympathize.

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>
> In my case it's a given.
>
> Typing will be slower than normal for a couple of days........

> <><><><><><><><>

:eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 15 Sep 2005 06:24:14 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
>A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
>other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>
> In my case it's a given.
>
> Typing will be slower than normal for a couple of days........

OUCH! I hate that. Ever step on your own head? Man alive! Talk about
embarrassing AND painful!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:4329138e$1_2
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
>> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
>> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>>
>> In my case it's a given.
>
> I can't do anything mechanical without hurting myself somehow. So
> naturally I sympathize.

I have a natural talent for "oopsies". My lifetime achievement is
the number of times I've found the bottom of an open door or cupboard
with my head. I once rocked a Toyota Corolla by finding the top of the
door frame with my noggin.

I've lost count of how many times I left the freezer door open, then
opened the fridge, only to rise up and nail the bottom of the freezer door.
And Ross wonders why I'm so hell-bent on keeping my side-by-side.
:eek:D

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:4329138e$1_2
>> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>>
>>> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
>>> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
>>> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>>>
>>> In my case it's a given.
>>
>> I can't do anything mechanical without hurting myself somehow. So
>> naturally I sympathize.
>

> I have a natural talent for "oopsies". My lifetime achievement is
> the number of times I've found the bottom of an open door or cupboard
> with my head. I once rocked a Toyota Corolla by finding the top of the
> door frame with my noggin.
>
> I've lost count of how many times I left the freezer door open, then
> opened the fridge, only to rise up and nail the bottom of the freezer
> door.
> And Ross wonders why I'm so hell-bent on keeping my side-by-side.
> :eek:D

I had a carpenter foreman who came driving up once while we were standing a
wall up on a house. He must have felt the need to become useful all of a
sudden, because he screeched to halt and came running up. He demanded a
hammer and nails, and was determined to nail the wall in place for us after
helping us raise it. He then proceeded to hit his finger and then the back
of his head with the hammer, twice. He dropped the hammer and screeched off
as fast as he came.

Quixote

Adrian Ng wrote:
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh hell yeah. Hurts like the dickens, too.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

Smeghead wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2005 06:24:14 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
>> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
>> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>>
>> In my case it's a given.
>>
>> Typing will be slower than normal for a couple of days........
>
> OUCH! I hate that. Ever step on your own head? Man alive! Talk about
> embarrassing AND painful!

Wow. No, I've not managed that. *Yet*. I do have a peculiar way
to trip myself up, though.
I make all my skirts, and I add side pockets. Since I'm so short, my
hipline is below the kitchen countertop level. I'll be walking through the
kitchen and a pocket will catch one of the drawer pulls (which are round
ceramic knobs), and I'll end up trying not to land on my face as I'm
brought up real short, real quick.

That's just got to look spastic. Thank goodness Ross isn't into hidden
video cameras........

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

> I make all my skirts, and I add side pockets. Since I'm so short,
> my
> hipline is below the kitchen countertop level. I'll be walking through
> the kitchen and a pocket will catch one of the drawer pulls (which are
> round ceramic knobs), and I'll end up trying not to land on my face as
> I'm brought up real short, real quick.

I do that when I wear my robe at the computer. It's got folded-back
sleeves, and they catch the arms of the office chair just when I'm trying
to kill something. I slide my arm back and the chair arm sockets right into
the cuff.

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in

> I've lost count of how many times I left the freezer door open,
> then
> opened the fridge, only to rise up and nail the bottom of the freezer
> door. And Ross wonders why I'm so hell-bent on keeping my
> side-by-side.

I've been eyeing the ones with the freezer on the bottom. It's typically
set up as two big roll-out drawers. You'd have to be laying on the floor to
bang your head on the fridge door. (Ok, it could happen to people like us!)

But this year's purchase will be a new oven. I've got a tiny electric in-
the-wall oven and I'm considering turning the space into a cabinet and
turning the pots-and-pans storage under the range into a 30" wall oven. Any
suggestions on what to get? I'm drawn to the Jennair stainless convection
model, but I'd be looking at close to $2k for that. (If only there was an
oven on the market with an Ethernet port, so I could get a pop-up when
gaming telling me when to get the cookies out of the oven.)

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote...
>> Thanks Randy. :) Man, I do good work! I think I cracked
>> a hand bone. (I hammered my hand right behind that joint that is the
>> first one before your finger begins. My index finger, in this case,
>> and sheetboyhowdee is it tender.)
>
> That would be the metacarpophalangeal joint.
>
> Quixote

Uh, okay! :) Yeah, that one.........

> I had a carpenter foreman who came driving up once while we were
> standing a wall up on a house. He must have felt the need to become
> useful all of a sudden, because he screeched to halt and came running
> up. He demanded a hammer and nails, and was determined to nail the
> wall in place for us after helping us raise it. He then proceeded to
> hit his finger and then the back of his head with the hammer, twice. He dropped the hammer and
> screeched off as fast as he came.
>
> Quixote

Maybe it's just *me*, but isn't that a tad spastic for a foreman?!?!?

ROFL

Hey, I've never managed to hit my freaking *head* with a hammer!
You gotta have real talent to do that! LOL Or a loose hammer......

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 16 Sep 2005 06:01:24 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 15 Sep 2005 06:24:14 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ordinarily, a hammer combined with a hand is a good thing.
>>> A useful combination to get work done. However, adding the
>>> other hand to the combo may result in personal injury.
>>>
>>> In my case it's a given.
>>>
>>> Typing will be slower than normal for a couple of days........
>>
>> OUCH! I hate that. Ever step on your own head? Man alive! Talk about
>> embarrassing AND painful!
>

> Wow. No, I've not managed that. *Yet*. I do have a peculiar way
>to trip myself up, though.
> I make all my skirts, and I add side pockets. Since I'm so short, my
>hipline is below the kitchen countertop level. I'll be walking through the
>kitchen and a pocket will catch one of the drawer pulls (which are round
>ceramic knobs), and I'll end up trying not to land on my face as I'm
>brought up real short, real quick.
>
> That's just got to look spastic. Thank goodness Ross isn't into hidden
>video cameras........

I'm the king of snagged clothing. I know where you're coming from.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in
>
>> I make all my skirts, and I add side pockets. Since I'm so short,
>> my
>> hipline is below the kitchen countertop level. I'll be walking
>> through the kitchen and a pocket will catch one of the drawer pulls
>> (which are round ceramic knobs), and I'll end up trying not to land
>> on my face as I'm brought up real short, real quick.
>
> I do that when I wear my robe at the computer. It's got folded-back
> sleeves, and they catch the arms of the office chair just when I'm
> trying to kill something. I slide my arm back and the chair arm
> sockets right into the cuff.

ROFL I've done that, too. Man, we're a pair to draw to, huh?

LOL

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> But this year's purchase will be a new oven. I've got a tiny electric
> in- the-wall oven and I'm considering turning the space into a
> cabinet and turning the pots-and-pans storage under the range into a
> 30" wall oven. Any suggestions on what to get? I'm drawn to the
> Jennair stainless convection model, but I'd be looking at close to
> $2k for that. (If only there was an oven on the market with an
> Ethernet port, so I could get a pop-up when gaming telling me when to
> get the cookies out of the oven.)

Gosh, I haven't looked at built-ins in a very long time, so I'm just
not sure what is currently available for "suzy homemaker". If you were
opening a restaurant, I'd tell you to get a (gas) Vulcan. :D

Hon, you're on your own here, but names to trust are Vulcan, both
Hobart (commercial) and KitchenAide (household), and generally
the Whirlpool line. I've heard quite a few grumbles from Jennair owners,
so I'm leary of them.

Ask the salespeeps which model has had the least returns- if they'll
be honest with you, you'll know which one(s) to avoid.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:432bcc73$1_1
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> Ask the salespeeps which model has had the least returns- if they'll
> be honest with you, you'll know which one(s) to avoid.

Good idea. I was reading about commercial ovens and how one would need to
rebuild one's kitchen to commercial fire-proofing standards were one to go
that route, an extra-expensive route to take.

I'm not *that* big a cook. I just hate my cakes coming out looking like the
Elephant Man from uneven heating. And I want a uniform temperature so that
cook times will be predictable. (Predictable is much more important than
fast.)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:432bcc73$1_1
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Ask the salespeeps which model has had the least returns- if
>> they'll be honest with you, you'll know which one(s) to avoid.
>
> Good idea. I was reading about commercial ovens and how one would
> need to rebuild one's kitchen to commercial fire-proofing standards
> were one to go that route, an extra-expensive route to take.

*HUH?!?!?!?* Oh, right, you're in California.......<rolls eyes>

Listen, your home oven is far more dangerous than any commercial
unit. I don't know why your codes are that way, but the only additional
work that would need to be done would be an exhaust hood that's larger
than normal, and that's just for keeping your house from becoming a sauna.
The outside of the oven would get no hotter than a household unit.

All that being said, you really would want the household version of the
commercial brands for a couple of reasons. First, aesthetics: they will
look better. Commercial units have really ugly feet.
Secondly, ease of fit. Most true commercial units are way too large
to be built in where an existing space is in the home kitchen. If you were
building a home from scratch, you could allow for this, but you'll be simply
replacing a home unit, eh?

> I'm not *that* big a cook. I just hate my cakes coming out looking
> like the Elephant Man from uneven heating. And I want a uniform
> temperature so that cook times will be predictable. (Predictable is
> much more important than fast.)

Ah, in that case what you want for baking is a convection (fan)
oven. Keeps the temp even as can be. Just keep the fan speed on
"Low", though. Otherwise the tops of your baked goods will suffer
from a "quick set".
Be sure to get doors with glass (see-through) inserts- opening the
door on a convection lets out a lot of the heat, as the fan has to stop
*after* the door is opened. So it can exhaust a lot of heat quickly.

Plus, a convection will usually brown meats much more evenly than
a regular gas or electric oven- again, the fan helps to evenly spread the
heat everywhere.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:432d1b7d$1_2
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> Ah, in that case what you want for baking is a convection (fan)
> oven. Keeps the temp even as can be. Just keep the fan speed on
> "Low", though. Otherwise the tops of your baked goods will suffer
> from a "quick set".

Yep, that jives with what I've been reading. Thanks for the low speed tip.
Didn't know about that one. What's the symptom of a "quick set"? The only
thing I know like that is a brand of paddlelock. ;)

I asked over in rec.food.cooking and was directed to this review:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/wall-oven-reviews/

Right now my oven is, I think, one of those ultra-small 24" jobs. (The
outside dimension is 27", but the cutout is 25".) It won't hold a half-
sheet pan! The cabinet wouldn't accomodate anything wider, so we'll put the
new wider oven under the gas range and convert the old spot back to a
cabinet to hold the pots and pans that are under the range.

Miracle Smith wrote:
> If I were in the market for a new oven, I'd get a convection with
> *3* fan settings: High, Low, and *Off*. Some ovens make you use the fan
> all the time, and that can be a problem with some delicate baked
> goods.

Here's what I'm used to working with:

http://www.blodgett.com/convection_full.htm

http://www.vulcanhart.com/products/ovens.cfm?productcat=2

Uh, forget what I said about prices- it seems I'm out of touch
with inflation. :eek:O