Cloning vista onto 2nd drive then reinstalling WIn8 on original drive?

daemondamian

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi Folks,
(scroll down the bottom for the questions)

I'm running Vista 32bit (Ultimate upgrade version from XP) on my 120GB SSD drive in IDE mode (I actually cloned my Vista OS from a HDD it was on to the SSD because there were some programs I didn't want to reinstall at the time).

I want to upgrade to Win8 now (clean install) because I'm restricted to only using 3GB of my 6B of RAM and don't have TRIM.

I am also getting another 2nd SSD (240GB) to put my games on.

I believe I can upgrade to Win8 Pro. (by completely uninstalling windows, then doing a clean installation of the Vista 64bit upgrade) and it will only cost me $40.00 (AU)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

My problem is that on the 1st February the price (for the basic version) is rising to $119.99.

I'm studying and have an assignment due on the 15th Feb. so I don't want to through installing a new OS and all the programs etc until after.

QUESTIONS:

So can I buy the 2nd SSD drive, clone the backup image (Macrium Reflect) of my OS on my 1st drive onto the 2nd drive and then do what I was originally going to do on my first drive (clean install vista 64 bit and then Win8)?

*That way I can keep using my current Vista 32bit OS on the 2nd drive (and keep using it) but have installed Win8 on the first drive *before* the price increase.

Will I have a problem doing the clean install vista 64 bit on the first drive if I'm still running vista 32 bit on the 2nd drive or am I allowed to run and install both a 64 bit disc and a 32 bit Vista (my upgrade came with both versions) on separate drives in the same pc?

I don't know whether I'm only allowed to use 1 version and not both or if I will have a problem not having 2 separate XP discs?

* I know I would have to select which drive to boot from first in BIOS.

Does anyone know if my plan is doable?
thanks
D.

Solution
"If I use a Windows 8 Upgrade disc/download to upgrade my Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, can I then use my old Windows 7 disc and product key to install Windows 7 on another computer?"

No. The Windows 8 Upgrade license replaces the previous Windows 7 (or Windows Vista or Windows XP) license.

To be clear: your old version of Windows that you upgraded from can no longer be used on your current, or any other, computer.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
"If I use a Windows 8 Upgrade disc/download to upgrade my Windows 7 computer to Windows 8, can I then use my old Windows 7 disc and product key to install Windows 7 on another computer?"

No. The Windows 8 Upgrade license replaces the previous Windows 7 (or Windows Vista or Windows XP) license.

To be clear: your old version of Windows that you upgraded from can no longer be used on your current, or any other, computer.

Solution

daemondamian

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Thanks for the info :)

I went out today and got the Windows 8 pro upgrade with both 32bit and 64 bit discs today for $49.00 (Australian) so now I can install it when I'm ready to! :D