Sign in with
Your question

Finally getting ready to build a system

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2008 12:12:41 AM

Computer Objective: This PC will help me do some moderate online gaming. Nothing like crysis. Help me work with Maya and 3ds studios. Multi task referring to listen to music while playing games scanning in the background and downloading multiple things by using bit torrent.
I already have the Case and the PSU so no worries about that.

CPU: Q6600 : I believe this quad core will help me play games that have a minimum requirement of 1.8 GHZ P4. I shouldn't have a problem. Will help me multi task and run windows vista 64 without a problem. I plan to OC it to 3.0 if possible i have a 550 W PSU.

Ram: Planning to get 4 gigs. I hope this is good and i'm willing to accept and special recommendations from newegg towards what type of ram i would get and what ram.

Motherboard: A P45 is my best bet i believe Maybe crossfire maybe not.

GFX: I'm short on budget so im guessing a 4850.

After cooler for my CPU: the 7 pro is my bets friend or so I've heard. I'm willing to spend the extra bucks on good cooling. Any recommendations are thankfully accepted.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think that is it except some extra fans for my cooler master case which already has 3 120mm fans.

this all should be around 600$ i hope :(  really i do hope. Thats my budget. If is less then awesome.

Any help appreciated. I know this is either probably an overkill but that is exactly what i want. I'm tired of my 500 FSB 2.8 P4.
July 24, 2008 1:47:37 AM

Q6600 will let you play games that have a 3.0 GHz P4 minimum requirement quite comfortably. It's a great little CPU but if you're looking for a pure gaming-only powerhouse, go dual-core. The E8400 is 3.14 GHz as far as I remember and not much more than the Q6600. Still, the Q6600 is awesome.

RAM, doesn't matter all that much. 4 gigs is a nice place to start, why not just go full out, 8 gigs on a 64-bit operating system, woo!

Mobo, P45 is great for crossfire with its 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots, so you get both cards at x16. If you want SLi, then get an Nvidia motherboard, not one with the Intel P45. Crossfire it works fine.

GFX, 4850 is one sweet card. Huge bang for your buck, and taking the P45 chipset gives you the option to get a second one (or a 4870!) in the future and crossfire them.

CPU fan... if size isn't an issue... Thermalright Ultra-120 is an awesome cooler, with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, of course.

Apart from that, pick up a power supply, just in case you forgot about that. A case with 3 120mm fans should be fine, though you might want to double check the airflow directions, especially since the 4850 doesn't dump hot air outside the case, it just circulates it back inside.
a c 117 à CPUs
July 24, 2008 2:23:53 AM

Kraynor said:
Q6600 will let you play games that have a 3.0 GHz P4 minimum requirement quite comfortably. It's a great little CPU but if you're looking for a pure gaming-only powerhouse, go dual-core. The E8400 is 3.14 GHz as far as I remember and not much more than the Q6600. Still, the Q6600 is awesome.

RAM, doesn't matter all that much. 4 gigs is a nice place to start, why not just go full out, 8 gigs on a 64-bit operating system, woo!

Mobo, P45 is great for crossfire with its 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots, so you get both cards at x16. If you want SLi, then get an Nvidia motherboard, not one with the Intel P45. Crossfire it works fine.

GFX, 4850 is one sweet card. Huge bang for your buck, and taking the P45 chipset gives you the option to get a second one (or a 4870!) in the future and crossfire them.

CPU fan... if size isn't an issue... Thermalright Ultra-120 is an awesome cooler, with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, of course.

Apart from that, pick up a power supply, just in case you forgot about that. A case with 3 120mm fans should be fine, though you might want to double check the airflow directions, especially since the 4850 doesn't dump hot air outside the case, it just circulates it back inside.

mmmm ....

RAM and disk I/O are as important, if not more so, than your cpu when multitasking ...
Related resources
July 24, 2008 2:41:11 AM

what are you referring to when you say disk i/o hard drive you say. If thats the case i have a sea gate.
July 24, 2008 12:01:58 PM

umm... this "550w PSU"... What make is it? because there a 550 watt units that are worse than 450 watt units out there....
July 24, 2008 3:50:26 PM

i prefer not to say since ive tested it and although many people bring shame to the make I've found out it's a wonderful PSU. To avoid any other speculation i decided to omit that.
July 24, 2008 4:03:28 PM

I smell smoke..... charred 4850s anyone?
July 24, 2008 5:57:08 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I smell smoke..... charred 4850s anyone?

Basically he's saying he is stead in his decision of not buying a new psu and will continue using his current one.

I'm not sure if maya or 3d studio has options for 4 cores, if it doesn't then don't even bother on a quad core get an e8400 type it'll be faster.

I'm still not entirely convinced if SLI or crossfire are worth it or if your better off getting an X2 card or a midgradeof the new gen every 18 months.

However a 4850 will last ya for awhile if you don't need max resolutions and AA on. It still beats almost all of the 8800 series and easily the ATI 3k series.
July 24, 2008 8:26:12 PM

Yeah I know but a Q6600/4850 system should hit around 450w under extreme load, and that will make a cheap 550w PSU pop, and then you have the charred 4850!
July 24, 2008 8:36:46 PM

ok fine before i continue i must say my friend has the Same PSU and with the same build and i know these PSU's dont have the best recommendations because of the brand and i dont know what else. to be honest my friend has had it for 1.5 years and t is a rx-530ss. I would also liked to add i had bad luck with some antec's and oc'z so so far this one i have has been doing good for me for a while.
July 24, 2008 8:53:26 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Add that into your budget and you will be fine, otherwise I still can not recommend trying your luck, so many people come here asking about what else went with their power supplies that I would hate to see you back with the same question. Also if you ever want to go crossfire than this should allow you to do that.
July 24, 2008 10:34:05 PM

So your saying i can keep my current PSU and add that. Wow thanks i owe you one. To be honest i was kinda worried, but i appreciate your concern.
July 25, 2008 10:32:26 AM

Get the 9800 GTX for 200 bucks.
!