using 2 psu

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

You don't need a special connector. All you need to do is connect a wire from (the green if i remember well) to the other green on the other PSU. Thus, when you switch on the main PSU, the Secondary will kick in as well. I had it like that in the past BUT: You need to have a filter or diode between them, because if any current flows the wrong way around (that is what happened to my installation) kiss goodbye to one of the PSUs at least! Still if one fails, the whole system will fail since half your equipment will be connected to one, and the other half to the other. Not to mention the data loss or complete Windows borg up if one fails.

The sensible and best choice is to buy one big wattage, wuality PSU and go with it. Less space and much less troubles!

My installation worked fine for months by the way before it died, but every time i switched my PC on, 6/10 times, it tripped the current breaker on the wall; my mother kept saying i will blow up the house one day...
well i blew up my PSU! hehe...
Now i am an owner of a Zalman ZM850-HP, almost completely silent and utterly powerfull! Was worth the money, and my mind is in peace now.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Don't be in a hurry to answer! If he has got two 250W low quality supplies, no wonder he wants to connect them together! Like i said though, a higher quality, higher wattage PSU is a better choice.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well I just ordered a Silverstone TJ07 and I fear my PC Power and Cooling 750w might not be up to the whole 4870 X2 release, so instead of paying $300 on a 1000w PSU, I would rather just spend another $150 on another PC P&C 750w for an ultra-stable maximum of 1500w, for the same price! To the OP, just find an adapter online, I know Lian Li and Silverstone include them in their cases that support dual PSUs, so they MUST be available.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
i was planing on getting 2 gtx 260 and the psu i have now wont power both of them. i currently have an antec earthwatt 500. i have a spare raidmax 530w and i was wondering cant i just use that to run one of the cards? i believe i saw a connector somewhere where 24pin connects to the mobo and splits into 2 24pin thous allowing 2 psu to connect. is it risky doing that?
(just trying to save money 2 gtx 260 dont come cheap lol)

No, those don't come cheap. Raidmax is a POS that will probably smoke and croak, and may not die alone. Get a decent 600W-700W PSU for your rig, preferably one that is SLI-certified by nVidia.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
what you need is a
Dual PSU 24-Pin Adapter Cable
Dual-PSU-Cable.jpg

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_186&products_id=21193

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
ya ur probably right. hey i have a question right now i have a oc q6600 at 3.0ghz and a oc 9800gx2 at 735/1125 and im using my antec eathwatt 500. it seems my psu can handle more because i can oc much more. do u think if i got 2 9800gtx+ it will be okay, since the 9800gx2 is like 2 9800gtx together plus mines oc.
(much appreciated madhacker!) =]

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
All you need to do is find a wire and bodge it on from the green pin to any black pin on the mobo atx connector and this will jump start your secondary PSU. No need to buy a new PSU or connector.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

It seems that no one noticed my post. Yes you can connect two PSU's, BUT it is quite risky and is not as good as getting ONE bigger wattage power supply. It is NOT just a matter of connecting them together, but getting proper protection from one PSU to another as well. So a connector will connect them together, but when the time comes, it provides :pfff: NO protection :pfff: at all, resulting in screwed up PSUs, components in your case, instabilities, BSODs, etc...

Unless it is used as an experiment on a secondary PC, i suggest to stray away from it in your primary PC for the reasons mentioned above. I have already done it, so i am talking from experience. Now if people are stupid enough and they don't want to listen, then go ahead... just don't come back to this thread crying :cry: and asking for help. You have been warned!

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Your PSU, the 750W PC&C should be fine. It is of very good quality and a system with an HD4870x2, even overclocked should not exceed the 600W moniker, even with lots of drives, and under extreme conditions etc. So 750W should be fine!

DappaDan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
i use 2 ATX psuS in my pc. one powers the mobo (CPU, PCI & PCIE cards obviously) and a 9600 gso gfx card, the other one powers my hdd's, optical drives and fans.

It was very easy to do this way because the two PSU's never "interfere" with each other. Its simply a matter of shorting the PS_ON pin (pin 14, usually has a green wire) to one of the ground wires (usually black) then i just placed the second PSU under my drive bays and plugged the molexes into my hdds etc. The mains cable for the psu just runs along the bottom of the case and out the back.

see here for a full guide http://www.directron.com/2powersupplies.html

There are ways of connecting the two psus so they come on at the same time, I did it the lazy/easy way, and the only caveat is that i have to turn the psus on/off independantly but thats not a problem cos i never really turn it off (its on 24/7 for folding) :sol: .