dudecz2010

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hello, I'm doing a fresh xp install on an older hp ze5700. I am able to get the machine to recognize the cd drive initially and go thru the install up until it has to reboot to set up windows. then it seems the laptop does not recoginze the cd drive and freezes on the 'setting up windows' part. any ideas? ah sorry for the duplicate post geez......

At that restart stage, XP doesn't need the CD any more as it's already expanded all the files it requires. If it isn't starting properly at that stage, it could be down to a graphics problem as the display requirements are slightly higher than it needed to be when only copying and expanding files. It might also be a lack of RAM although that should have been identified at the start. 512Mb is really the minimum it will require.

Has XP been in this machine before? How much memory does it have?
[/#000ff]

dudecz2010

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
It had xp home edition as new. i'm using the hp xp disk that came with the unit. it's running 1024 ram. you say it doesn't need the disk once it gets to the 'returning to set up' stage? i see a light blue screen that comes up... then the cursor pops up and it clocks for a few seconds... then i get a 'an attempt was made to write to a volume after it was dismounted' or something like that... when the unit restarts i can see it running thru the boot sequence and i dont see the cd drive boot... but if it doesnt need it i wonder? should i remove the disk once it goes to restart? i have fomatted the drive a few times now and it does the same thing each time. runs thru the initial install part just fine then errors on the restart. also i want to add the reason i reloaded the os is because the machine kept throwing up blue screens at different times. usually on restart... i have reset the bios to default as well. any ideas are much appreciated. thanks.

This is beginning to sound more like a hard disk problem now. Even if you had the BIOS set to boot from CD every time, there would still be a prompt to "hit any key to boot from CD" which at that stage in the proceedings, you ignore and let the hard disk take over. Your's cannot and is probably the problem - and may have been the cause of prior blue screen events.

dudecz2010

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I ran a disk check and it came out ok. I also formatted it and that seemed to go ok. Now the thing went from on;y recognizing the cd if i had no disk in it to not recognizing it at all ever... It goes immediately to the hd to boot and get the missing ntldr message because the hd is now blank. I'm ready to give up.