Sign in with
Your question

How to use old hard drive on my new computer

Last response: in Windows 7
August 31, 2011 2:54:13 PM

Hello,
*I have a new windows 7 (professional 64) machine.
*I removed my two hard drives from my old computer (windows xp).
*I installed them in my new computer as drive F and G
*I want to be able to use my programs and access all my data on my old drives, in my new computer
*I want to be able to access my old outlook data, including email from my old drives
*I see a bunch of folders in my F and G drives, but can't seem to use any of the program files and I don't even see "my documents" from my old computer or any outlook files...maybe I am lookign in wrong place.

I am new to all this and may have gotten myself in over my head :) 

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer

Janna

More about : hard drive computer

a c 289 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 3:26:14 PM

You will not be able to use the programs on the other drives, you have to re-install them on the new computer.

The outlook files are in a hidden folder. My documents should be on your drive in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents

The emails pst files are also in the old user directory. Do a search for .pst files in your old user directory and select it to search hidden files. You can then open them up on your current Outlook. You may want to copy them over to the new drive before using them.
August 31, 2011 3:37:15 PM

Thank you so much "hang"

really need my old emails and docs, so I will get on that straight away.

Dang, I was hoping I would not have to repurchase my Adobe program (I think my old IT guy has the discs and he has kind of disappeared).

Have a great day everyone

Related resources
a c 289 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 3:51:37 PM

You may not need to re-purchase it. Just boot up the old system, you can get the setup codes from the program, or through Adobe help. Download the program from Adobe's site, use the code to activate the full version.
August 31, 2011 4:01:10 PM

I tried calling Adobe and they tired to help my find the codes, but said they are not on my computer (this was when I was in the planning stages of the new computer).

When you say "boot up the old system", how do I do that when the hard drive is in my new computer?

Thank you again!
a c 289 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 4:06:28 PM

JannaS said:
I tried calling Adobe and they tired to help my find the codes, but said they are not on my computer (this was when I was in the planning stages of the new computer).

When you say "boot up the old system", how do I do that when the hard drive is in my new computer?

Thank you again!

Put the drives back in the old system if it's around. You need to boot up the old operating system with the program installed, they may be able to get the codes then.
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 4:11:00 PM

the os is installed on the hdd's

if you get the computer to load from the old hardrive it will load the old os

on most computers you can keep tapping the escape key on your keyboard

after you press the power butten and they will allow you to select the boot device (this is only tempory boot device)
August 31, 2011 4:20:25 PM

You may be able to get the drive to load using an external USB adapter.
a c 289 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 4:34:15 PM

vigilante212 said:
You may be able to get the drive to load using an external USB adapter.

You can't just boot a windows setup off a usb drive. The issue is not that they can't get to the files, but that they need the program loaded and running to get to it's configuration.
!