ATI 3870 - Overheadting

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Guys:

I have some concerns regarding the ATI 3870 (Diamond) card that I am using. At idle the fan is very quiet, however under load it's awfully noisy.

I switched over to a passive cooling solution (Arctic Cooling S1, Rev 2.0). At idle the ATI Control Center reports a steady 60 C, which is about the same as the stock cooling solution. Under load after an hour, ATI Control Center reports the card at 106 C. I did check to see that the heat sink properly contacts the GPU, as well as the memory chips. Currently using it with an Intel Q9450 in a Lian Li PCV-1200AII case, which is very well ventilated.

Do I have a problem with the Arctic Cooling S1 or are these temperatures normal for passive cooling. Most of the web sites reviews show the ATI 3870 topping off at 70-90 C using this passive setup. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
C.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Passive cooling is only as good as the airflow around it. The fins still need to have air flowing through them to work properly, otherwise the heat just builds up around the card. You might need to add another fan to the case to get the airflow right.

And don't listen to ronka, he's not very good with thinking about stuff.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's advisable to rely on passive cooling for that card. You need to direct some air over that cooler. I would attach a fan over that cooler. It may not have to be much, get a low RPM/low noise fan and you should see your temps come down.

Passive cooling is better done with low-mid range cards in a HTPC, not a gaming computer.

A Diamond HD3870 and the fiasco that surrounded any attempts to get tech support for it are how Diamond has earned a place on my "Do Not Buy" list.
I dropped back to an Asus EAH3850, which has worked well for me. When I need it, I'll probably consider a 4850, but it won't be Diamond.

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Guys:

Thanks much for the input. I stuck one of my Lian Li 120mm fans directly on top of Arctic Cooling S1 Rev 2.0 and obtained very positive results.

The idle temperature is around 44 degrees Celcius while under load the card has not exceeded 70 degrees Celcius. Considering that with the stock cooler the card ran at 60 degrees at idle, this is very promissing.

I examined the stock hsf and I'm rather puzzled at its miserable performance. It has two heat pipes and appears to be full copper. In addition, the fan pushes air across the heatsink and outside of the case. I wish graphics car makers would put more emphasis on quiet efficient cooling. I could honestly hear the fan whining while using noise cancelling ear phones.

My system is just about dead silent now, even with the card under full load.

Thanks for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.

CHL

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
And thank you for a good thread. Cooling and noise are important issues. Interesting to see your improved results.

The 4800 series ati's apparently run pretty hot and cooling ideas like those expressed here are right on track.

Well it's good to hear that you have sorted out your problems.

As for the stock cooler, did you try a utility to control the fan, such as RivaTuner, ATITray Tools, or ATI Tool. I find that on most cards the fan temperature threshold tables are too conservative (seems the mandate was quiet rather than cool), that coupled with dirty in the heatsink and you have an overheating GPU.

Again good to hear that you've managed that nuclear core.