Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard fried?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2008 8:49:24 PM

I found an old Burlink external drive in my garage earlier today and decided to hook it up to my PC to see what was on it. I plugged the outlet into the wall and then plugged the drive into my PC's USB port. The PC instantly turned off.
I unplugged the drive and rebooted my PC. None of the USB and the PS2 mouse port do not work now. It's almost like they're just power outlets. My mouse is receiving power because the laser on it will light up but I will not be able to move it and my keyboard's lights never turn on and I cannot type with it. I can not access my BIOS because even then my keyboard will not work.
I removed the battery for 30 minutes and drained my computer's power to no avail. It still does not work.
Is my motherboard fried for sure or could it be something else?

More about : motherboard fried

August 15, 2008 9:02:05 PM

Did you try clearing cmos. Clearing cmos will set the bios back to defaults.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 15, 2008 9:05:29 PM

dallasjoh said:
Did you try clearing cmos. Clearing cmos will set the bios back to defaults.

I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in about 30 minutes later. I believe that clears it but correct me if I'm wrong.
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2008 9:18:35 PM

Did you check Device Manager to see what's showing for these devices?
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2008 9:20:30 PM

Sorry...missed the part about not being able to do anything with mouse and keyboard.
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2008 9:23:18 PM

Do you have your OS CD and, if so, have you tried to see if it will run? May need to run a Repair.
August 15, 2008 9:26:21 PM

cmichael138 said:
Do you have your OS CD and, if so, have you tried to see if it will run? May need to run a Repair.

I do have it somewhere but I'm not sure how I'd run a repair. I cannot use my keyboard.
August 15, 2008 9:45:22 PM

Looks like it works now! I tried leaving the CMOS battery out for about 30 minutes again and it seems to be working perfectly fine now.
August 15, 2008 9:45:53 PM

zetex said:
I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in about 30 minutes later. I believe that clears it but correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right, "my bad."

Glad to hear it's running, good luck!
August 15, 2008 9:54:28 PM

Annnnd it stopped again. My mouse started going on and off then my keyboard and mouse both stopped altogethor.
August 15, 2008 10:31:09 PM

Sounds like a dodgy power supply if your USB devices are not working.

try using the mouse and keyboard on another PC
might wanna take a multimeter to the power supply to see what voltages you are getting.

just my $0.02
August 15, 2008 10:35:45 PM

They work on another PC. Sadly, I do not have a multimeter on me to test the voltages.
August 15, 2008 11:42:10 PM

Its possible that that old drive has some bad wiring in it and shorted out the USB port you use, and possibly made the controller kind of sketchy because of it. It is very possible that it will continue to act this way, but if everything else seems to work fine when you can use the computer, I would just invest in a PCI USB 2.0 card and plug everything into that. They shouldn't be too expensive.
August 16, 2008 12:09:19 AM

Well I plugged into into a front USB on my case and my computer instantly shut off. Now all of my USB ports (6 in back, 2 in front) don't work. I do, however, have a PCI USB car and I will try that now.
!