QX6700 reaching 90c under load, and about 60 idle...

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hello, first post here.

I have been reading the forums and Im worried by now. The temps appear to be incredible high, yet the system work flawlessly and if I was not geek at all I would have never noticed any problem.

Specs:

QX6700
Thermaltake V1, thermaltake thermalpaste
975XBX
3GB Hyper from Kingston
ATI 3780
couple of seagates 320GB
coolermaster case
Windows Vista Ultimate
anything else please ask

Anyway, right now while writing this the temps measured by SpeeFan 4.32 are 75c for the CPU (each core being about 3c lower) with an "internal temp" of 48c.

Measured with Core Temp 0.99.1 each core is about 86c, again while writing this. I have about 40 tabs on Flock + 1 word document, messenger and outlook opened.

If I force the system running something heavy like what I have now + photoshop + google earth + some hd video in the background the CPU reaches 90c on SpeedFan and about 100c in Core Temp. It will never reach above that so I suspect thermal protection and throttling is going on.

Now, as all these appear to be highly irregular I most suspect that maybe the motherboard is not sending the right voltages, or maybe not reporting the correct temp? what the heck is going on!

Thanks!

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
What is your average ambient temp? Take off the side panel and see if temps drop, if it does, you need better circulation in your case.
Also reseat the heatsink if that doesnt help. if it has pushpins (crap) make sure they click in right and apply the correct amount of paste.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
1. check the bios temp
2. check if the heasink is hot with your hand if not reseat the heat sink
3. get a good thermal paste and reseat the heatsink
4. check temps in bios again

speed fan will sometimes report a wrong tenp on my amd 5000x2 machine speed fan reports my cpu temp as 90c in the bios 43c

theres no way you processor is running at 100c without failing. you would be able to make eggs on top of your heatsink

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

Thanks just did that right now. No differences at all. :(

It does drop. Reseating didnt help, yes it has pushpins and it is perfectly well mounted. I even use the directions on artic site to properly put the thermal compound. No changes. Temperature according to the news service is 25c on the outside, I have no way to measure it inside my house, but I would say is a bit warmer.

1) Bios reports 80c (amazing isnt it? sounds to me like impossible)

2) Heatsink is not not, barely warm, I would say almost at room temperature.

3) I have just the thermaltake paste at hand. Will try to get something else.

And I know it makes no sense to run it at 100c, and I have to add, without a SINGLE problem!

Can I suspect that the problem lies elswhere? maybe the reported temperatures are wrong?

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
BTW, as a side comment. I put the computer to sleep instead of turn it off to reseat the CPU. I thought my session was gone, but when I turned it on my session was there? How can that be? I believe the suspend happens in RAM and not the HD... oh well, I might be loosing it with this heat problem! :cry:

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I just installed CPUID Hardware Monitor, and its readings are consistent with Core Temp, both indicating temps being 10 degrees higher than those reported by SpeedFan...

So, I got about 100c when the CPU is loaded. As I believe this is when thermal protection kicks in this leads me to believe temps are correct.

On the other hand... having a perfectly stable computer, running it (now) with the open case, and touching everything inside it to check that it is barely warm... leads me to believe that, somehow, temp readings are simply wrong...

How to decide what is correct? A VERY strange bug in the Mobo that pushes temp readings to absurd levels? A defective chip that runs this hot?

Ideas?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Your heatsink is not properly mounted, even though you think it is. Remove the mobo and check the pins to be sure they are all protruding through the mobo properly. Fix the mounting problem or get an aftermarket heatsink with a back plate. You are seriously shortening the life of your CPU at those temps.

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

I grant that this is a logical possibility. Still... simply logic and some hand manipulation indicate that it is indeed well mounted. For example, if I move the heat sink the whole motherboard reacts as if it was firmly attached. If I pressure firmly the heat sink towards the CPU and keep measuring the temperature doesn't move a bit. Every pin is attached as it should, none is loose.

Another circumstantial evidence, I have removed it and reseat it several times by now, with identical results. More circumstantial evidence? I have read of no problems regarding proper mounting for this specific Thermaltake V1 unit.

More evidence. I used to use the original Intel cooler, and its RPM go to the roof when using the Quadcore, if I use my dual core RPMs are way lower.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Just letting you know. Be sure to post back and tell others, after you realize that the HS was indeed not mounted properly. If it is mounted properly, which I seriously doubt, then immediately get an aftermarket HS with a backplate.

Or you can just continue to cook your CPU, it's your choice.

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

How do you KNOW the CPU is that hot? My guess is that I would get random errors here and there, some odd behavior indicating it is simply that hot (I could be wrong of course, maybe CPUs these days are not like older ones, where if you pushed a lot (when OC) strange things happened).

What about the circumstantial evidence I cited? Would you grant the possibility about temp readings being wrong? Not even ONE heat sink in the motherboard is remotely hot... the only thing hot at touch is the heat sink on the ATI 3870. And yes, I can put my finger right behind the CPU and it is just warm...

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Please note that I don't DENY that this is actually happening (bad contact between HS and CPU), I merely rely on the evidence before my beliefs.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you used Core Temp then you're temps are within 5C you could try Real Temp which is more reliable, but probably only 5C lower. The temps are pulled from the digital thermal sensors that are embedded in the processor. The Q6xxx series had no problems with these sensors, and the 45nm chips only had problems with reporting idle temps, so I'm sure your temps are accurate. You also never ran any true stress testing program so you weren't even measuring the temps under full load. Try using Prime95 and select small FFTs.

If you touch the HS with temps that high and your perception is "Heatsink is not not, barely warm, I would say almost at room temperature." then it the HS isn't drawing the heat away from the processor, hence it isn't mounted properly. Pull the mobo and check for yourself. Do you think this is the first time I have heard this? They always insist it is mounted properly even remounted a few times. Then they remove the mobo and check and realize that it had come loose or was never securely installed. I would recommend a heatsink with a backplate anyway, the stock HS sucks.

You have all the information, act on it or not, but I will not validate any other possibilities, because there are none.

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Some reasoning might help.

1) Fact: Temps went DOWN when changing from the retail HS to my V1, by about 10 degrees, with this CPU and my Dual Core

2) Nobody would sell HS without backplates if the securing was so, well, "unsecure".

3) Suppose for a second that the HS is properly installed... which are the alternatives?

If Zorg can't think in any other possibility maybe others can.

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Ok, using the Real Temp you suggested, it reports the coolest reading of all the measuring programs I have used so far. I have three programs running right now and these are the numbers:

1) CPUID Hardware Monitor: between 61 to 67c
2) SpeedFan: Between 56 to 58c
3) Real Temp: Between 47 to 51c

Which one is accurate? Reading the forums everyone have their "favorites". Should I go with the higher temp (which seems to be wise) or am I just having an imaginary problem because temps are ok and I'm just wasting my time?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would trust real Temp. Are these Prime95 load, or idle temps? If they are idle then something is still wrong, unless your ambient temp is very high. Try reading the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide. Here are a some of screen shots of my idle and Prime95 temps for reference. I'm using a TR Ultra 120 Extreme, with an ambient of temp of 74F. All fans on high. The TR V1 should be at least equal or better.

261gaio.jpg
2z539ck.jpg

2dt7kt0.jpg
sux253.jpg

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

You put the computer into Sleep to RESEAT THE CPU?? lol. You live on the edge.

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

Thanks for the link and pics. I returned the V1 and got a new one. For no apparent reason things are much cooler now. My guess is that the pressure to the CPU is different.

Anyway, now in a normal situation (for me this is having like 40 tabs on the browser + outlook + word + messenger and other stuff) my readings are in the mid 40s c and I when I play (UT3) having the aforementioned opened max temp reaches 66c. Maybe still hot, but by far better than with the first V1.

And of course, these numbers are taken from "Real Temp". If I use something else like "CPUID Hardware Monitor" lectures are way higher: around 60c while browsing and 82c when playing...

WHICH SHOULD I TRUST AND WHY???

Bodhidharmazen

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

LOL! :lol: it was just a mistake... still, the interesting thing (for me) is that the session was restored no problems! How can this be? guess I dont have a clue on how sleep works nowadays.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Having programs open isn't a good stress test, neither is running a game. use the Prime95 that I linked earlier. Watch those temps, because they will climb fast.

Real Temp is the best by default because unclewebb, the author, has taken great pains to do actual testing of the Tjmax for some of the processors, specifically including the Q6600 which is the sister to yours. Don't believe me, read it for yourself.

XtremeSystems Forums - Real Temp

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
"2) Heatsink is not not, barely warm, I would say almost at room temperature. "

If anyone has a similar problem please investigate it properly. If your recording VERY high temps from the cpu and your cooler is "barley warm" that should tell you heat IS NOT BEING TRANSFERED. For overclockers consider lapping in your cpu's and/or coolers if you need the 2-4c for a higher overclock.