New LG STB ATSC Receivers - 5th Generation?

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 6, 2005 2:36:52 PM

In a press release from LG, Sept. 5, 2005, several new products were
announced. (
http://www.lgcommercial.com/LG_Press/LG_press_flat_9.5.... )

Question: When LG says, "The premium LG brand fully harnesses the power of
the newest technologies with a series of set-top boxes that combine HD
reception with HDTV Digital Video Recorders," are they saying that these new
ATSC receivers are "5th generation"?

Here is a portion of the press release:

**********************

Set-Top Decoders and Recorders

The premium LG brand fully harnesses the power of the newest technologies
with a series of set-top boxes that combine HD reception with HDTV Digital
Video Recorders, as well as a standalone DVD recorder and a DVD recorder/VCR
combo. The models offer installers numerous new options for home theaters
and entertainment areas.

The LSS-3200A DirecTV?Receiver/HDTV Tuner supports all DirecTV, ATSC and
NTSC formats. Key features include a seven-day DirecTV Advanced Program
guide, simultaneous HD and SD analog outputs, Dolby Digital?audio, an RS-232
serial port, an IR/RF (infrared/radio frequency) remote control for
multi-room use, and a Digital Video Interface (DVI). It will be available in
October for $599.

The LST-3410A HDTV Digital Video Recorder/Receiver is equipped with a
high-gain ATSC tuner for HDTV terrestrial reception, a Quadrature Amplitude
Modulation (QAM) tuner for unscrambled HDTV cable reception, and an NTSC
tuner for standard-definition analog reception. The built-in digital
recorder boasts a 120-gigabyte hard drive, allowing viewers to record 12.5
hours of high-definition pro-gramming, 62.5 hours of standard-definition
digital programming, or 120 hours of analog NTSC pro-gramming. Also included
is an intuitive on-screen navigation system and TV Guide On Screen?eight-day
program listings service that allows users to record directly from the
guide. Other key features in-clude Dolby Digital?sound, a DVI + HDCP output,
IEEE-1394 for digital MPEG-2 recording, and an RS-232 serial port for home
theater control. Model LST-3410A will be available in November for $999.

The LST-3510A HDTV Receiver/ High Format DVD Player features an all-format
ATSC re-ceiver for over-the-air HD reception, a QAM tuner for unscrambled
HDTV cable reception, plus a built-in DVD player with 1080i output, Enhanced
Scaler, Dolby Digital sound, a DVI + HDCP connector, a PSIP-based Electronic
Program Guide, and a RS-232 serial port. It will be available in October at
a price yet to be announced.

The LST-3100A Advanced HDTV Receiver is also equipped with an all-format
ATSC receiver for over-the-air HD reception and a QAM tuner for unscrambled
HDTV cable reception. Additional fea-tures include a user-friendly graphical
interface, Dolby Digital sound, and a DVI + HDCP output. It will be
available in October for $399.

Turning to recorders, the LGXBR342 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo combines the best
of several technologies in a deck that includes a DVD recorder, a
progressive-scan DVD/CD player, a four-head stereo VCR and an NTSC tuner.
Users can record material in DVD, DVD-VR and VHS formats. On playback, the
deck is also fully compatible with DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW and MP3 formats.
Additional features include 19-head micron technology for the VCR, timer
recording, front-panel A/V inputs, and Dolby Digital sound. It will be
available in early in 2004 for $899.

The LG-DVDR313 DVD Recorder comes equipped with a DVD recorder, a DVD/CD
player, and an NTSC tuner. Users can record in DVD and DVD-VR formats, and
play back material in DVD, CD-Audio DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW and MP3 formats.
Additional features include compatibility with DVD players and PCs, timer
recording, a variable recoding mode, and Dolby Digital sound. It will be
available in October for $799.

******************

Neil
Salem, MA USA
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:41:17 PM

OH my! Did I make a mistake. In my anxiousness to find 5th generation ATSC
STB receivers, I misread the web page. I thought it said Sept. 5, 2005,
when it was an old release from Sept. 5, 2003!

Please ignore my erroneous post.

Feeling fooling,

Neil

"Neil - Salem, MA USA" <Neil@Salem.Massachusetts.USA> wrote in message
> [...]
> best of several technologies in a deck that includes a DVD recorder, a
> progressive-scan DVD/CD player, a four-head stereo VCR and an NTSC tuner.
> Users can record material in DVD, DVD-VR and VHS formats. On playback, the
> deck is also fully compatible with DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW and MP3 formats.
> Additional features include 19-head micron technology for the VCR, timer
> recording, front-panel A/V inputs, and Dolby Digital sound. It will be
> available in early in 2004 for $899.
>
> The LG-DVDR313 DVD Recorder comes equipped with a DVD recorder, a DVD/CD
> player, and an NTSC tuner. Users can record in DVD and DVD-VR formats, and
> play back material in DVD, CD-Audio DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW and MP3 formats.
> Additional features include compatibility with DVD players and PCs, timer
> recording, a variable recoding mode, and Dolby Digital sound. It will be

September 6, 2005 8:04:48 PM

Tuesday, September 06 2005, @ 4:02 PM (-0700 GMT)

I forgive you Neil... :)

I just bought a new LG 37" LCD HDTV. It has a wonderful picture when
receiving HDTV stations over Cox Cable. The only BAD thing is the User
Manual. Its VERY poorly written and hard to follow.

JoAnne
WebMistress: http://www.AntiVirusYellowPages.com

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:41:17 -0400, "Neil - Salem, MA USA"

!