Sign in with
Your question

Problems moving WHISPER 32 from XP to Windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
August 31, 2011 2:55:09 PM

I have copied Whisper 32 (an old password program that I really like) from my Windows XP to Windows 7 on this new laptop. It runs ok, but when I try to make a change, I get this error message: Access to ...................... is denied. It will allow me to make the changes to a NEW file, but not to my original file. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

More about : problems moving whisper windows

a c 376 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 3:22:40 PM

Take ownership of that original file to the account you are using.
m
l
August 31, 2011 3:33:19 PM

can you walk me through that? i'm the administrator and the only user. sometimes i get a notice that administrator authorization is required but i can just click that away. in this case it didn't ask anything about administrator or ownership. i'm rather a novice at all this....
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 3:59:36 PM

Before we do this, is that password file encrypted? It could be that it won't work on another system without doing a backup of it first to ensure the encryption keys are intact. Take a look at the program manual or help file and see what it states about moving the files around. It could be that the file rights are not the issue but rather the program.

This is the take owenership steps

Right click on the file, select Properties
Security Tab
Advanced button
Owner Tab
Edit button
Add the account you use
m
l
August 31, 2011 4:06:18 PM

thanks! that worked. i also posted a question about another program (photowise) that i'm having some problems with. hope you'll take a look at that too.

again, THANK YOU!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 4:34:34 PM

guys on win7,

you are NOT an admin by default even if you think you are becasue it says so in the controll panel

clcik start, run then type this

net user administrator /active:yes

this is the default admin account, it is handy to keep this around in case of problems

you can right click on a file to take ownership here is a guide on how to do it (i did this myself, works a treat)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-o...
m
l
August 31, 2011 4:43:26 PM

thanks for that info. when i purchased they they supposedly set me up as the administrator as i'm the sole user. urghhhh.
m
l
January 14, 2013 6:47:14 PM

beadedgoblets said:
I have copied Whisper 32 (an old password program that I really like) from my Windows XP to Windows 7 on this new laptop. It runs ok, but when I try to make a change, I get this error message: Access to ...................... is denied. It will allow me to make the changes to a NEW file, but not to my original file. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Hi, how did you copy the Whisper 32 from xp to windows 7? Did you ran the setup program. When i try to run setup.exe on my windows 7 64 bit, I get an error message about the wrong version of the program. I even tried to run setup in compatibility mode.
m
l
!