Sign in with
Your question

E8400 overclock help, memory holding me back

Last response: in Overclocking
April 30, 2009 7:03:36 PM

(I had another thread going but it was cluttered and i got some new info so i opted to start this one instead)

Ok i am in need of serious help.

My current settings are (im just trying to find something stable, ill lower the voltages later):
FSB - 423 (* 9 = 3.8 GHz)
vcore - 1.3625
MCH - 1.42
ICH - 1.3
VTT - 1.34

Under these settings my system will pass Prime95 small ffts 8 hour test, but will fail on the blend test after 10 minutes, indicating memory (even though the memory passed 4 hours of memtest)

My memory is rated for:
Voltage: 1.9
Speed: 800
Timings - 5-5-5-18

My current memory settings are:
DRAM voltage - 2.1
Speed - 846
Timings - 6-6-6-18

Under these settings Prime95 blend test is still failing, but if i lower the timings to 7-7-7-18 my computer wont post. Is there anything else i can do to get the memory stable? I saw settings for MCH/DRAM Reference and DRAM termination, but im not sure what either of those do or if increasing them will help.

Also there are two options on my board to set the memory at a 1:1 ratio, one of them is 2.00B and the other is 2.00D (from what i understand they deal with the memory strap, but im still fuzzy on the differences between them). I have tested both of them this setup and both tests failed Prime95 blend in less then 10 minutes.

If anyone has any info or advice i would be grateful:) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2009 11:20:57 PM

OK, since you copied your question from your other thread and started a new one with the same information, I'll just copy my answer from your other thread.

With the price of 1066 ram so low now, you may want to invest in some so you can take the memory out of the equation.

You can always find out for sure by lowering the OC (fsb and mutiplier) then use the memory multiplier to see how far you can push the ram so you know for sure.

2.00B is the 333 strap, 2.00D is the 400 strap (looser), you should stick to D for the time being until you get every thing else sorted out.
April 30, 2009 11:48:43 PM

Lol thanks :D  I figured i put up so much stuff in that other thread it would be easier just to consolidate the current situation in a new thread
May 2, 2009 8:07:08 AM

Yea, i think the ram is holding me back due to failing the blend test, but the fact that it wont overclock even 46 Mhz is just pathetic. I am still planing on lowering the overclock and then increasing the ram to make sure thats the problems, but i haven't had the time to do that as of yet.
!