GIGABYTE vs. xVGA vs. ASUS vs. XFX vs. ETC. ETC

srbraith

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
How do these brands and others compare for motherboards and video cards. Are some more stable than others? I know xVGA has a trade in policy....Any comments?

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
dont think ive heard of xvga, but evga has a step up policy, gigabyte is know for stable good overclocking motherboards, asus is know for extras like wifi or whatever else they think up but not necissarily easy to deal with xfx seems to recently have dropped the ball on quality, the lists goes on but at any givven point in time they are all good brands, many will say one or the other is the best my choices are evga msi and gigabyte

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Gigabyte and Asus makes good motherboards. EVGA has the step up program. XFX is known for good quality and excellent technical support along with double lifetime warranty. MSI is also good with video cards, haven't had a problem with them yet.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Its going to vary depending on chipsets a bit too.

For instance, the 790I ultra sli chipset is E-vgas top board - but like all 790I ultra boards it has display corruption problems while playing dvds and the like that Nvidia has failed to resolve - this is pretty much a problem widespread over many SLI chipsets.

The fact is, you can't really fault E-vga for that, or XFX or any other SLI board maker - thats just how the chip is. Anyways, this can vary across any board and any company. You have to research the technology a bit too and make an educated decision if you are investing in something you intend to keep for quite a while.

oogle reviews and whatnot, pay more attention to reviews done by enthusiast sites as they tend to be more critical. Like gators1223 said, gigabyte/msi/asus/evga all make exceptional motherboards with their various perks - but just make sure the technology suits your needs and if there are any bugs in the tech, that they aren't going to regularly interfere with your goals for the PC and you'll be happy.