Sign in with
Your question

Problem with startup

Last response: in Windows XP
October 11, 2010 2:09:46 PM

i've just returned from a one month overseas trip. After that, my computer has problem starting up.

when i press the startup button, the machine will 'crank up' and die down. then i keep trying, and the same thing happens. The more i try, the 'crank up' time seems to get longer. So, i take out all the 'un-nessary usb ports' and try again.
And after bout 5-10minutes of trying, then my computer started to startup.

the problem has persist now everytime when i startup the computer

would could me the causes of this?

More about : problem startup

October 11, 2010 3:03:29 PM

Many things can cause this, all would be hardware.

First how far does the system boot? Does it get an image on the screen and start to load the BIOS or does it just light up and then shut off?

Start with the power supply, replace it and test again. After that, probably the motherboard would be at fault. Maybe RAM but with your symptoms I would check on the larger components.
m
l
October 11, 2010 4:18:13 PM

the system jus turn on, less than 1 sec it'll shut down. sometimes, takes more than 1sec shutdown. no image on the screen. not load to the BIOS.

but after a few tries, it manage to load.
so, it's either lightup and shutoff or load all the way. it never hangs in between the process.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 4:59:39 PM

huagulong said:
the system jus turn on, less than 1 sec it'll shut down. sometimes, takes more than 1sec shutdown. no image on the screen. not load to the BIOS.

but after a few tries, it manage to load.
so, it's either lightup and shutoff or load all the way. it never hangs in between the process.

That issue is almost certainly one of 2 things, Power supply or motherboard. Between replacing the 2 of those I'd say you have a good 90% chance of fixing the issue. Try the power supply 1st, it will be a bit cheaper and easier to replace.
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:04:28 PM

any recommendation for power supply? and how much does it usually cost? i mean for a average power supply. is it like 1 size fits all?
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:09:23 PM

If you have a standard ATX size power supply, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... should do fine. Looks to have gotten good reviews.

Any Antec power supply will also do well, and would generally be cheaper that the other makers with a good reputation.

For a regular PC, no gaming card, 300w will be good enough.

You do need to check the PSU configuration of your system, some smaller boxes have custom designed power supplies with odd angles/sizes. And even some regular PCs may have odd shapes or screw holes.
m
l
!