Sign in with
Your question

Alienware question

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2008 6:44:17 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here! Well I have a few questions about alienware. I've come to a conclusion and I have my mind set on alienware. I did not come here to get told about how bad alienware computers are and how over priced they are. I've found an awesome alienware for exactly 2,179 bucks. My specs are Intel Quad core at 2.66, liquid cooled, 1000 watt, 1gb of ATI 3870x2, 4 gb of ram ( NO low latency. I don't see the point in it, it doesn't do a whole lot), 250gb of harddrive, and Vista. I wasn't sure if I should get XP or Vista because Vista slows your computer so much more than XP. But I figured that at some point I have to get Vista, so I'll just get it. So I have a basic question. Will I be able to play games like Crysis and future powerful games like Crysis for the next 4 years or so? Also, those of you who own or have owned an alienware please post your experiences with it (even if its a bad experience). I have a few other questions but I've completely forgot them, so if they come across me again I'll ask you guys.

Ignore the price..wouldn't you say that this is a pretty good setup?

Lastly, I have a question with overclocking. I know nothing about it or how to do it. You guys don't have to tell me how to do it, but is it pretty easy to change the settings and overclock certain things? And how far do you guys think I can overclock the Quad 2.66 to, WITHOUT frying it. I was thinking 3.0 or 3.2 or so. And If I can get past that, great, but 3.0 would make me very happy. Thanks in advance!! :) 

I do not know ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about computers, so I'm stuck at buying a prebuilt (and too lazy to learn how to build one :D  )

More about : alienware question

June 9, 2008 7:34:52 AM

i dont think theirs any graphics cards (quad sli or crossfireX) that will allow u to play top games for 4 years...the 3870x2 will struggle to play crysis on high settings. I dont think u need the 1000watt psu the 750 will do fine. Liquid cooling will take the q6600 past 3.4ghz. Personally i hate alienware, if i were to get an alienware i would get it with top notch technology in it...the q9450, also the next gen graphics are weeks away. If the gtx 280 is like what 8800gtx was the you'll have a king of a card for 2 years.
Related resources
June 9, 2008 9:20:02 AM

At least you admit that you're too lazy to learn. I'd give you some advice but I'm too lazy to give you a decent reply.
June 9, 2008 11:10:00 AM

Oh Snap!

Anyway... if your not bothering to learn how to build a PC whats the point of learning to OC properly. IMHO assembling a computer is a hell of alot easier than adjusting voltages and timings to achieve the balance that makes the part stable, cool (enough) and with a decent increase in performance.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2008 11:59:31 AM

My Q6600 is working @ 3.0 GHz with Zalman cnps9700 (80% max rpm) and have never gone more than 50'C. But I don't have the guts to go higher. :p  (See my system).
OCing is not as hard as you think.

June 9, 2008 12:24:05 PM

Geez.. I guess it was his fault for asking on a board with a bunch of enthusiasts instead of people with unbiased opinions. lol

That being said, why the hell would you want to try your hand at OC'ing yourself, but not building the thing? Building a computer has always been (for me at least) a fairly simple plug-and-play process. There might have been some hiccups during setup, but nothing substantial that couldn't be fixed with a quick post on here.
OC'ing, on the other hand, is completely on another level. It's not just simply "plugging in this value here" and you're done. There are all kinds of tweaks that you are told to do in a lot of "OC'ing Guides" that will cause more harm than good if done incorrectly. You have to massage the OC into the correct profile in order to make it the most effective using 2 or 3 different settings (sometimes more if your memory needs to be tweaked to match freq and all that blah, blah).
Meanwhile, slapping a card on a board is a hell of a lot easier. While sometimes the MB manual (if you want to call them that) can be a little sparse on information, it's not hard. It's made so that anyone with a 7th grade education can do it, but maybe not completely understand it. Good news, though: you don't have to know how something works to operate it. Just go ask 99% of women about their cars... lol
June 9, 2008 12:51:00 PM

Yes, the specs of the computer are good. I have a suggestion. If you want that computer to play Crysis well and especially in vista. I would wait a few weeks and get a 260/280 series nvidia or 4000 series ati card.

I have no personal experience with Alienware (other than working on one). The one that I worked on was a laptop, which had a very cheap plasticy feel to it, but that was about 4 years ago. My friend constantly had problems with it, but that is not much different than any other computer he has ever had.

So yes, it is good, but I would wait for a new graphics card. Your probably going to want whatever the best is that you can possibly get if you want it for 4 years. Even still...the sytem will be hard pressed to get to 4 years of good performance, but I believe that it will be able to do it...as long as you are ok with lower settings in games.

On the OC'ing note. 3 - 3.2ghz is most likely an easily obtainable goal. Just look into the OC'ing guides that are located in these forums and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what to do. Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball
June 9, 2008 1:02:16 PM

guanyu210379 said:
My Q6600 is working @ 3.0 GHz with Zalman cnps9700 (80% max rpm) and have never gone more than 50'C. But I don't have the guts to go higher. :p  (See my system).
OCing is not as hard as you think.

I know that upping a CPUs Frequency is easy, but you're not pushing the system to its limits... Have you adjusted the voltages?, mucked about with the RAM etc.?
I dont do it personally till I can replace the system for about $400.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2008 1:08:09 PM

You start out saying that you did not come here to hear about how expensive Alienware is, or to hear about how bad they are.
Then in almost the next sentence you state the price you are paying, and then ask for people's opinions of Alienware. Hmmm.

Anyone too lazy to spend 1 hour reading about how to, and another hour assembling a new gaming PC deserves to pay through the nose for an overpriced Alienware piece of crap. Have fun.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2008 1:21:21 PM

smalltime0 said:
I know that upping a CPUs Frequency is easy, but you're not pushing the system to its limits... Have you adjusted the voltages?, mucked about with the RAM etc.?
I dont do it personally till I can replace the system for about $400.

I have adjust the voltage but only bit...hey you don't need to adjust the voltage if you don't need it!
You'll sometime or most of the times need to adjust the voltage but from one proc to another it is not the same. Some q6600 proc can reach 3.0GHz even without changing the default voltage, but some don't even make it till 3.0GHz no matter how hard you try.
I leave the RAM as it is 2.1V 1000MHz 5-5-5-15. The RAM doesn't give much effect on your system, only your proc does. But change this setting if you need to change it to make your system more stabil.
If you are gonna oc any proc, just change the frequency but slowly and patiencely and raise the voltage only if it is really needed. Keep it cool with the proper cooling and with the lowest voltage possible but stabil. For me something above 55'C is too hot.
Change also to the ratio and frequency setting untill you reach the best, the highest or the wished proc frequency.
Sometimes, problems would also appear from your OS.

gadgetnerd is right, it is because you have to pay for the oc-service if you don't do it yourself, and you don't really need a water cooling system.

Come on! Just build your own system than make it fly sky high! Alienware is only a waste of money.

June 9, 2008 1:22:16 PM

Why even ask our opinion? Youve just negated 90 % of the info we could give you with your comments, and for the money, hell no thats not a good system, next time use google, or go look up a review on the premade crap you want to buy.
June 9, 2008 1:36:00 PM

About building a computer myself..NO. Lol, I really don't want to. But I've thought about it a bit and maybe I could go with another computer. It's just that I don't know of another good custom computer company. Sure the Voodoo Omen is amazing but thats insanely expensive. I know nothing about Falcon and rather stay away from them, even though there a good company, possibly better than Alienware :p . Also, hasn't Alienware gotten better since Dell bought them? I know they still are quite seperated but at least Dell keeps them somewhat in line. I've heard that the models sold before Dell bought them SUCKED. But ever since Dell got involved their computers have gotten much better. The new gtx 280 looks pretty amazing. Is the ATI 4870 coming out to go against it? When do these 2 cards come out?
June 9, 2008 1:37:17 PM

Well for what it's worth I get good OC results out of the 3870x2, but I have to raise the fan speed, which can get pretty loud.

To play crysis though, you should wait for the new video cards, and for that money you could afford to build your own with the gtx 280... Sorry couldn't resist.
June 9, 2008 2:24:53 PM

C0l3m0n said:
About building a computer myself..NO. Lol, I really don't want to. But I've thought about it a bit and maybe I could go with another computer. It's just that I don't know of another good custom computer company. Sure the Voodoo Omen is amazing but thats insanely expensive. I know nothing about Falcon and rather stay away from them, even though there a good company, possibly better than Alienware :p . Also, hasn't Alienware gotten better since Dell bought them? I know they still are quite seperated but at least Dell keeps them somewhat in line. I've heard that the models sold before Dell bought them SUCKED. But ever since Dell got involved their computers have gotten much better. The new gtx 280 looks pretty amazing. Is the ATI 4870 coming out to go against it? When do these 2 cards come out?

For the price you are paying for that rig, you are getting garbage. It will be obsolete within two years, and have Alienware/Dell's proprietary motherboard, power supply, case, etc. in it, which will severely limit how much you can upgrade your computer.

What is up with the water cooling? Nothing in your computer is overclocked, and even if you do overclock your processor to 3.0 ghz, the water cooling is completely unnecessary. Basically like using a chain saw to snap a twig.

That is unbiased advice. If you want a high end system then build it yourself. Otherwise buy from Lenovo, Gateway, or HP (in order of quality). Seriously, Alienware is right up there with companies like Apple that sell crap and get by on marketing hype.
June 9, 2008 2:26:49 PM

C0l3m0n said:

Uhh, I would tend to think it would go the other way...
June 9, 2008 2:32:11 PM

just buy all the parts in that alienware u wanted in parts and home build it ull save some $$$$

voodoo is a rip off.

alienware is somewhat a rip off after looking at parts and adding it all up.

falcon plan stinks as no 1 uses them mostly lol that fragbox is a joke.
June 9, 2008 2:33:49 PM

This'll be a decently good setup for a good while, but in four years, you may have to make a couple upgrades to keep pace with hardware requirements, Thanks to the machine's power supply, you won't have a problem finding the power to do that. I'd go with Vista, because it's not as buggy as everybody says it is. At least I haven't had any problems using it, and really, I've found it faster than XP by a long shot.

You may or may not be able to overclock the machine at all depending on what's available in the BIOS. My particular machine from Alienware I bought about 2½ years ago didn't allow it and I couldn't get any software based OC problem to work, either. Graphics card overclocks fine though and is very simple to do. Their service department actually knows what they're doing and they get the job done which is a lot more than I can say about other vendors. If you ever have to call them, you will be speaking to an American! They've replaced a couple components for me quickly and easily with no hassle. Their prices might be a bit high and I've built my own machines, too, but I'm definitely satisfied with my rig. They make good machines both specs wise and build quality wise.
June 9, 2008 2:44:03 PM

^^ Are you from Alienware? Because everything you just said is false. Four years before an upgrade? Are you serious? Vista not buggy? You have to be kidding me.

Speaking to an American is a nice feature for tech support though. Although whether a retard speaks English or Chinese, they are still a retard.
June 9, 2008 2:45:18 PM

vista only buggy due to most software is not 100% stable on it.

June 9, 2008 5:46:50 PM

C0l3m0n said:
I know nothing about Falcon and rather stay away from them, even though there a good company, possibly better than Alienware :p .

Falcon > Alienware

C0l3m0n said:
Also, hasn't Alienware gotten better since Dell bought them?

Dell makes nothing better.

C0l3m0n said:
The new gtx 280 looks pretty amazing. Is the ATI 4870 coming out to go against it? When do these 2 cards come out?

The GTX280 is suppose to release within the next 2 or 3 weeks I believe, but I am unsure of the ATI. Regardless both are scheduled for this summer sometime soon.

Best,

3Ball
June 9, 2008 7:54:54 PM

Alienware used to be pretty good, though expensive, before Dell bought them. I don't think they are nearly as customer/quality focused as they used to be.

My Alienware box is over 5 years old and still going strong. I've made a few upgrades over the years, but it wasn't a bad box when I got it.

Not sure why you would want a water cooled box...guess you are planning on trying to overclock it heavily. Sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me.

I'm much happier with the system I built at the end of last year for about $2500 (including monitor and THX 5.1 speakers).
!